Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

first food plot help

Old 04-16-2007, 07:52 PM

Default first food plot help

Hey guys i have decided to planta food plot in my hunting area this year but, i need help on a few things first off im in western pennsylvania,im not sure what kind of plants i should use. I wanna use a mossy oak biologic plot ,but they offer so many different kinds of plots that im not sure which one to pick. I want the plot to bring in the deer during the daylight hours from october 1st until late december-early january. So if someone would help me in picking which seed variety i should use i would greatly appreciate it. Now to the second part of my question could i just use my atv and my angled disc thing i have for the back of it? And afteri sow the seeds do i have to roll over top of them with something? Well any help is appreciated thanks guys.... [align=right][/align]

Old 04-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first food plot help

I'll start by posting the same advice that I did on the other thread.

You really need to take some soil samples to see what your soil will grow and lots of other factors like sun vs. shade, growing zone, etc. There are some good articles on growing food plots on the www.qdma.com site.

Here's a direct link - http://www.qdma.org/articles/list_articles.asp?id=2

Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 AM

look at some websites and choose the best plant for your region
Old 04-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

For that time of year plant some turnips,plant them the 1st of Aug..
Old 04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

What you want to do first is test the soil and then get the Ph right for planting. I plant a mixture of turnips, chickory, and clover and am happy with the results, but really you can plant whatever you want. My neighbor plants sorghum and the deer seem to like that as well. I would say spray the area to kill everything, once it is all dead just go back and rough all the dirt up with the 4-wheeler and disc and broadcast the seed. It isn't the #1 most effective method, but it works pretty well and reduces the need for more expensive equipment. Just MO.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:42 AM

its all about preperation. if i could only have 2 plots i would do clover for spring and summer, and a winter green for fall
Old 05-01-2007, 08:59 AM

Do a soil test before you do anything.Treat the soil according to the results of the test. If you can disc or cultivate the soil and than use a drag harrow to smooth out the soil.plant your seed and than drag the soil with the smooth side of the drag harrow. If you don't have any impliments, use round up or it's equvilant to kill the vegatation.Than if you can, burn the vegatation. Please use all precautions when burning, lots of people with shovels and water buckets. Burn on awindless day and make a fire break around the whole area. Than use a chain link fencewith weight on it to rough up the soil. Plant your seed, drag it again this time with no weight on the chain and wait for rain. Plant inlate August or early September and you will have clover for hunting season.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

These guys above have really sent ya on the right path. Check out that QDMA site and you'll learn a ton, true foodplot management experts there at your disposal. Also, I would like to suggest taking a look in the QDMA on-line store and a couple of excellent books you may want to check. The best one I've personally read, as far as what you'll need and everything you could need to know about laying out and maintaining small hunting plots, is in the informative "Grow 'Em Right". That book may be one of the best $20 you'll ever spend? Best of luck and like they mentioned, get your soil samples first.