Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Walmart rifles....and resources... >

Walmart rifles....and resources...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Walmart rifles....and resources...

Old 09-17-2005, 05:57 PM

Default RE: Walmart rifles....and resources...

also check out the Wal Mart Winchester Model 70 packages....I got my Model 70 supershadow 7mm WSM with the 3x9 simmons and a box of winchester supreme ammo out the door for $407
Old 09-25-2005, 06:11 AM

i shoot a savage 10fcm scout in .308. it has worked on everything i have hunted in WA state, and nor cal. the new 114 series is a nice set up from them also. the best gun you can get is the one you can handle and shoot the best. use this search as an excuse to go out and hadnle all the rifles you can. make sure you throw them up and if they allow you, throw the bolt since they all throw different, fit differentand you will narrow down your choices.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:46 AM

Like mentioned already, its all in personal pref. any of mentioned cal.s would be fine.
-Rebal deffinatly nice day you had. congrats.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

go wif da ohsix...Itll drop anything in your country.............i bleeve the scopes are simmons
Old 09-29-2005, 07:15 AM

I went with a bargain rifle as it is next to impossible to get drawn out here (4-5 years average) and did not feel comfortable dumping 1500 on a rifle and glass. Besides I'm always broke as I am a duck hunter.

I had to shoose one all round rifle for deer, elk, and if God ever smiles upon me, antelope.

After a lot of reading, I went with aSavage 116FLSS (Synthetic Stainless LH in .270). I couldn't purchase at Wally World as they hate us lefties ! Ended up putting a Millet 3-9 x 40 on it. Very crisp optics for the money, IMHO. Grouping is well above average for a bargain shooter.

Trigger is like butter andone of the best out of the box (i.e. no gunsmith) actions. It breaks clean and I alwaysseem to be shocked whenit fires.

I would recommend the .270 or 30-06.Both are heavily used out herein Arizona with great success for everything, including bull elk. And we have somemonsters !

Buy a caliber that is going to be effective, yet gentle on the shoulder. You will be far more accurate with it.

Now,I will say that I have myeye on a sweet little 25-06 (1900.00) thatfits me so well that it makes me want to go home and have "relations" with myself.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot a ruger 30-06 and love it. It has good range and a lot of nock down power , I would go with the 30-06.