Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Walmart rifles....and resources... >

Walmart rifles....and resources...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Walmart rifles....and resources...

Old 09-07-2005, 04:44 PM

Default RE: Walmart rifles....and resources...

i second jepcho, 270 or 30-06 either are great, plus the savages are tack drivers
Old 09-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I also bought a Marlin 30-30 last year at Walmart. I love that gun. My next gun will be a 270. Walmart sells those synthetic stocks mostly.I'm looking for a walnut or maple stock.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:58 AM

I would have to guess at this point you have purchased a riffle. What did you go with?? Hopefully a 30-06, as most people have mentioned. It really is about the most versitle gun on the market, with a wide variety of ammo to accomidate almost any game in north america. Larger calibers would only be good for say, 400+ lb animals, OR dangerous game, such as hogs/boars, Bear, ya know, something that can hunt you back.....lol. Although, the 30-06 is probably enough for even those animals.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:18 PM

I would go with the 30-30 in alot of foilage, but the 30-06 for larger game. I live in North Bama, and the foilage is pretty rough around here too. I hunt with a Winchester 30-30, and it hasn't failed me yet.This year though, I may move up to a 30-06.

Out for the kill
Old 09-13-2005, 06:27 PM

I would go with the 30-06 too. Mine has been responsible for a lot of harvested bambi's. I also load for my friend in 7.62 NATO (.308 - his favorite - same 30 caliber bullets less powder), I have also loaded and shot deer with the .270 (Same powder as the -06 littler bullet). Realistically, and modern cartridge in the .270 - 7mm - .308 are deadly on deer and larger game. Magnum loads, while flat and fast come at the cost of recoil and subsequent flinching....... plus $ to practice. I have shot deer with 30-30's, 35 marlins, muzzleloaders, shotguns (12 and 20's) and a host of rifles. Given the choice, I would take my Ruger M-77 in -06. If nothing else I'm confident with it, accurate with it, it carries easily and smokes deer at any range like a Cohiba from Cuba. In the end it's all personal preference.

PS The south will indeed rise "agian"....but only high enough to kiss the North's a$$
Old 09-13-2005, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Zoomer

I would go with the 30-06 too. Mine has been responsible for a lot of harvested bambi's. I also load for my friend in 7.62 NATO (.308 - his favorite - same 30 caliber bullets less powder), I have also loaded and shot deer with the .270 (Same powder as the -06 littler bullet). Realistically, and modern cartridge in the .270 - 7mm - .308 are deadly on deer and larger game. Magnum loads, while flat and fast come at the cost of recoil and subsequent flinching....... plus $ to practice. I have shot deer with 30-30's, 35 marlins, muzzleloaders, shotguns (12 and 20's) and a host of rifles. Given the choice, I would take my Ruger M-77 in -06. If nothing else I'm confident with it, accurate with it, it carries easily and smokes deer at any range like a Cohiba from Cuba. In the end it's all personal preference.
[quote] [quote]
PS The south will indeed rise "agian"....but only high enough to kiss the North's a$$

We all know that that will only happen when hell freezes over.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:03 AM

wow Rebel what a catch

Old 09-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 1stTimeHuntingGal

wow Rebel what a catch
I thank you!!
Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Hey Hunter, both on the same day with .270,
33.9% is rifle, 33.9% is ammo and 33.9% is shooter!

33.9 + 33.9 + 33.9 = 101.7% !!

Sorry, I'm a jerk...had to point that out. Anyways. All the calibers you mentioned would be fine for deer and elk. I guess you just have to get the one you like best. I think the savage combo is a good value. Nothing wrong with the gun. Scope will work for you too, although you could do better. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been told by some gun dealer that places like walmart, dicks...sell factory seconds....i dont know...maybe the dealer just wants my money . His prices are alwayshigher thanat walmart>>>>>> Is there such a thing as factory seconds. when it comes to guns ?.how could they be sold..safety issues.....WHAT??

Quick Reply: Walmart rifles....and resources...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.