HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Walmart rifles....and resources...
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 07:15 AM
defectivedabbler

Default RE: Walmart rifles....and resources...

I went with a bargain rifle as it is next to impossible to get drawn out here (4-5 years average) and did not feel comfortable dumping 1500 on a rifle and glass. Besides I'm always broke as I am a duck hunter.

I had to shoose one all round rifle for deer, elk, and if God ever smiles upon me, antelope.

After a lot of reading, I went with aSavage 116FLSS (Synthetic Stainless LH in .270). I couldn't purchase at Wally World as they hate us lefties ! Ended up putting a Millet 3-9 x 40 on it. Very crisp optics for the money, IMHO. Grouping is well above average for a bargain shooter.

Trigger is like butter andone of the best out of the box (i.e. no gunsmith) actions. It breaks clean and I alwaysseem to be shocked whenit fires.

I would recommend the .270 or 30-06.Both are heavily used out herein Arizona with great success for everything, including bull elk. And we have somemonsters !

Buy a caliber that is going to be effective, yet gentle on the shoulder. You will be far more accurate with it.

Now,I will say that I have myeye on a sweet little 25-06 (1900.00) thatfits me so well that it makes me want to go home and have "relations" with myself.