Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Safety Bright Clothes?

Old 08-26-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Safety Bright Clothes?

Sorry about the many posts, but Im new so Im trying to figure things out. Do you guys only shoot when you clearly know what your shooting at is a deer? Cause people been telling me I should wear something bright so I dont get shot. But I want to have a bit of fun and wear a ghille suit. What do you think is it really nessecary to wear something bright? Are people that stupid that they would shoot at a noise and not what they see?
Old 08-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Safety Bright Clothes?

Most states require a certain number of square inches of hunters orange visible from all directions. I've killed a lot of deer with orange caps on and I can't remember being busted because of the color. Thehunters scent and motion by the hunter arethe usual ways a hunter is busted. Never shoot at anything unless you know exactly what it is, and yes, some people are that stupid.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:28 PM

Do you guys only shoot when you clearly know what your shooting at is a deer?
ABSOLUTELY!!! Know your target, and whats behind it!

What do you think is it really nessecary to wear something bright?
You need to check your state regs.Most states require blaze orange clothing to be worn while hunting with a firearm.

Are people that stupid that they would shoot at a noise and not what they see?
Their are some people that stupid, yes. I cannot count the number of times I have read stories of people being shot because they were mistaken as game.

Good luck, and be safe. I would suggest taking a hunters safety course.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Most states require a certain number of square inches of hunters orange visible from all directions. I've killed a lot of deer with orange caps on and I can't remember being busted because of the color. Thehunters scent and motion by the hunter arethe usual ways a hunter is busted. Never shoot at anything unless you know exactly what it is, and yes, some people are that stupid.
Yeah Timber Fl requires 500sq inches, but I am like you, I just use the cap.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 PM

Ok thanks, and yeah the safety course is required to get the license in B.C. i believe.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:35 PM

Well here's my opinion on your question: Yes there are stupid hunters, and stupid drivers and stupid doctors and lawyers etc.etc.
Somestatesrequire hunter orange. Here in missouri just last spring a turkey hunter blasted his hunting buddy when he heard him call. So again yes it is a dangerous sport but we love it so much we have no choice but to go, after the first huntit is in our blood and we think about itall year long. Don'tknow where you hunt or if it is private or public land. I have never hunted public land because it scares the hell out of me. On my land I only wear orange during the required times and I usually break the law and take itoff after I am in the stand and hang it so it can still be seen but not blow around. But again I am on my land and if I survive a trespassershooting at me on my land they won't survive. On public land you have no idea who is there and what level of qualification as a hunter they are.I have only killed 28 deer, but I can say mostexperianced hunters after a first few hunts are self taught responsible hunters that will not shoot until they are absolutely sure at what they are shooting at. Even if I were bow huntingon public land I would still wear orange to and from my stand. Yes there are some very inexperianced stupid hunters in the woods and we take a risk every time we go, but we must!!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:41 PM

Opening of gun season in michigan and ohio is flat out scary sometimes. Most here know what they are doing and what they are shooting at I would guess. But some guys will empty a clip at anything that moves it seems. I can't believe more people don't get hurt to be honest.

I don't think I would hunt public land in my area opening week of gun season. Maybe bow season, but not shotgun. It really depends on what things are like where you hunt. It's pretty crowded where I live and hunt. I'm not so much worried about actually getting shot, but rather getting hit by a stray bullet. All the orange in the world doesn't make you bullet proof.

I just wear an orange hat as well, and then take it off in the blind any way.

Paul
Old 08-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Paul, you got that right!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:40 PM

Wear the BLAZE ORANGE in to your hunting area and remove it once your set up. In many states its law to have an certain amount "in square inches" of Blaze Orange visible while on the ground. Deer are color blind and cant see the "BO" so no big deal...And the Gillie Suit its a good idea if your ground hunting, directly on a deer trail. As far as Shooting only what you can directly identify. Look at news reports through out the country and there will be several stories about knuckle heads (mainly YANKEES)who've killed a fellow hunter and tarnished the image of hunter every where. AND NEWS FLASH....PEOPLE ARE THAT STUPID!!! I suggest that you attend a hunters safety course...If your asking these questions, You probably have many more to ask. The course is taught by people who know and are practically jumping up and down to share this information with you......By the way "Having a bit of fun with a Gillie suite" Your HUNTING; andnot on military maneuvers. You wont kill a thing crawling around and playing GI JOE Sniper WANNA BE. Find a place wear the suit and SIT STILL! I guarantee you'll have much better success.....Good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:49 PM

Well thanks. I know how to be safe just worried about people who dont know what their doing. Then again I probally wont run into anyone cause Im going pretty far.

Quick Reply: Safety Bright Clothes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.