Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

blowing calls or shutting up

Old 08-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default blowing calls or shutting up

just wondering on how some guys hit the woods different. I always get into discussions with my hunting buddies about using calls or not using any!!same with attractent scents and not using them. some only use calls and scentsin pre rut some in rut or just post rut and some never use em. just loooking to here what you guys do and feel works.

Good hunting
Old 08-24-2005, 09:13 PM

Default RE: blowing calls or shutting up

OK here's my 2 cents. Sorry if I come of as crude but this is my philosophy and I apologige in advance to all women or sensitive manly types
If you think that new fantabulous primos grunt call makes you sound like a dominant buck tending a hot doe, you are an idiot. I can hear you 400 yards away - and it sounds like a stoned Jim Morrison singing "touch me Babe". Blow it loudly and often and please scare the deer to me. Same for the fawn/Doe bleat can. Go for it with the "rattlin sticks in a canvas bag" too if it tickles your fancy. Got a set of horns from your uncle from 1982? Great! Nothing better than the real thing....bungee 'em together and smash em together as hard as you want as often as you can....more deer for me running in terror from you sounding like John Bonhan doing a Moby Dick drum solo.
Me? I will be off the beaten path, in the darkest, deepest thicket/swamp I can find and gain quiet access too, with a sex attractant. 200 proof/Tinks 69/etc., etc., etc.It doesn't matter.

Never forget it's all about the *****...It always was and always will be. Period!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Zoomer

OK here's my 2 cents. Sorry if I come of as crude but this is my philosophy and I apologige in advance to all women or sensitive manly types
If you think that new fantabulous primos grunt call makes you sound like a dominant buck tending a hot doe, you are an idiot. I can hear you 400 yards away - and it sounds like a stoned Jim Morrison singing "touch me Babe". Blow it loudly and often and please scare the deer to me. Same for the fawn/Doe bleat can. Go for it with the "rattlin sticks in a canvas bag" too if it tickles your fancy. Got a set of horns from your uncle from 1982? Great! Nothing better than the real thing....bungee 'em together and smash em together as hard as you want as often as you can....more deer for me running in terror from you sounding like John Bonhan doing a Moby Dick drum solo.
Me? I will be off the beaten path, in the darkest, deepest thicket/swamp I can find and gain quiet access too, with a sex attractant. 200 proof/Tinks 69/etc., etc., etc.It doesn't matter.

Never forget it's all about the *****...It always was and always will be. Period!

[:-]
Old 08-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmmmmwhatever that was above id and do call grunt and can but not usually together i mean if hes id say dont call if hes (insight) because usually thats close and hell look see nothings there and run...
did that last yr and cost me my 1st and one of the biggest bucks ive seen in the wild
Old 08-25-2005, 02:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dont use them
Old 08-25-2005, 06:10 AM

I agree with the first post 100%, go to Wal-Mart and look at the all of whistles and bells they sell for hunting. Some might work but why risk it? I would rather be as stealth as possible and let the deer come thru like they did the day before etc. I think if your having to try to get a buck to come two ridges over then you need to learn to scout an area better. Get rid of all that garb I see people in town that have come down from the city wearing all kinds of **** around their neck grunts,horns, who knows.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I've done both, but staying quiet seems to work the best for me. The only time I would call is if I were on the ground stalking, using the calls to cover any noise I might be making. I don't think calling from a stand is wise. Deer are smart, they can tell the sounds are coming from 16ft in the air. I do put scent wicks around my stand though.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:43 AM

What the hell is that? Gibberish? I don't understand a word of it? Can you say "punctuation, capital letters?"

ORIGINAL: Allseasonhunter7

hmmmmwhatever that was above id and do call grunt and can but not usually together i mean if hes id say dont call if hes (insight) because usually thats close and hell look see nothings there and run...
did that last yr and cost me my 1st and one of the biggest bucks ive seen in the wild
Old 08-26-2005, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

whatever that was above idk*.i do grunt calland use the can but dont use both together. if hes in sight hell pick you off
i did it last year a buck was was 70yds but in sight and i called,he came runing into 50 and ..then trotted the other way.
it was one of the biggest bucks ive seen hunting.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Calls work, it's undeniable. You have to use them right and in the right situations. Scents work as well, but again, right place at the right time. For me I just use scents to get the deer into a shooting position. I don't expect the scent to call them in from far away....that's what the grunt call is for. And it will bring them in more often than not, especially during the right time.

Quick Reply: blowing calls or shutting up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.