Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

blowing calls or shutting up

Old 08-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: blowing calls or shutting up

I use a call if I can see deer and they aren't heading my way otherwise I just shut up.
SF
Old 08-26-2005, 11:19 PM

I Can honestly say that the PRIMOS Doe can call works. All you do is turn it up side down and leter go. I kill ed several buck of different ages while using this thing. Some run in while others sneak in. But there all looking for that doe. I also use rattling horns from a thick beamed 6 point and from a small 4 point. I get more attention from dominant bucks using the 4 point horns......But, to Quote an old hunting mentor..."It really don't matter what you do.....If hes gonna be there, he'll be there regardless."
Old 08-27-2005, 03:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt in a very difficult WMA in Florida. The Green Swamp. Very few score. Once I met a man who was extremely sucessful in there. I had never got a deer in that WMA. I was on my 3rd year. He told me his success was using calls correctly. I told him I had gotten two answers before with a grunt and his reply...".Once they answer ,put the grunt call back in your pocket, he is on his way." I had blown that opportunity. For I had called over and over again. On Jan. 1st last year during our post rut I used the Primos ' Can' About 20 minutes later I heard a splash ,splash. To my surprize a young spike buck came high stepping out of a cypress dome. One shot from my new 30-30 Marlin put him out cold instantly. Calls........you bet ya. And reading your Bible in your stand helps alot too.

Brother Chuck
Old 08-27-2005, 04:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Zoomer,
I believe the last sentence of your reply is quite offensive. On this forum you have to remember we have female hunters as well.

Brother Chuck

Old 08-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that calls are FAR better when you only use them to call to deer you can actually see and read! Blind calling simply educates more deer than anything else! I have a H.S. True Talker that has closed the deal on several P&Y class animals for me and I wouldn't go hunting without it, it's as important to me as my Rangefinder!
Old 08-28-2005, 03:18 PM

I wont be as blunt as the first guy. But to be a successfull buck hunter, you first have to be a successfull doe hunter.
Find the does...and you will find the bucks. No call can substitute good scouting i.e. no where they eat, sleep, drink, and ****. That being said I still take my tru talker and my rattle bag but most of time they never leave my hunt bucket
Old 08-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

Zoomer, great post man.I have used calls with limited success but i always use some doe urine on a scent wick to help stop deer for a shot. this year no calls period
Old 08-28-2005, 03:41 PM

If you use the calls at the proper time and situation they work fantastically.We have never had a time when we where calling that we had no response from a buck. But we know if you go and try to call in a buck at the wrong time of the season you might as well stay home and try to call one in to your nice warm bed.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Calls do work but the most important thing is know what your saying and know when to say it!!!!! Same with scents they can produce if you know which one to use. Neither are magic though they will work and simply not work even when knowing what your doing. However the same can be said about sitting in stealth waiting to ambush. It's called hunting not killing for a reason!!!

I say the single biggest thing is scouting and learn as much about the animal you are chasing. Then you can adopt additional measures ifyou wish.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just doe-in-heat scents for me, thanks. Any sort of calling or rattling that isn't 100% authentic, to deer outside (or even inside) your visual is going educate the deer to do the hustle. If your rattling and they can see you moving they're gone, many before you know they were there. (Ever stop and think/realize how many times you were probobly BUSTED and never, ever even knew it? More than you think! guarantee.)

But the doe-in-heat scents I've have been using have definately worked very well. I use them sparingly (I like to "drip trail", paying close attention to the wind directions & patterns). I typically "drip trail" to bait into an area so that when the deer come in, they eventually realize there's no girls around and I can see them move in to or come out, and move off towards me, on a very faint scent trail. This gives me an advantage cause they're not looking as much ahead, as wanting to go back to the "hotter", more heavily scented area. I've seen guys who think they have to pour out a whole bottle at a time. The woods smell like a brothel at 4 in the morning.

No rattling antlers? Less to carry in/around/out. No movement necessary.

No noise maker? Less to clatter around. No movement necessary.

And Zoomer - posting a "disclaimer" is all cute and funny and all that. But does not excuse you from using langauge like that. I think just stating the boys can't help but to chase the ladies would have fully made your point. I see no reason to use vulgarities.

Quick Reply: blowing calls or shutting up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.