Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ground blind question..

Old 08-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default ground blind question..

I just purchased and Ameristep outhouse ground blind for $50. for years i have been using my Viper climbing tree stand but the area in which i hunt is getting hard to find a good place to climb. I am thinking about using this ground blind to hunt deer this gun season in Wisc. Does anyone have opinions on this or the product? how many hunt using these pop up type blinds and do they work effectively? Is this a good product?
Old 08-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ground blind question..

I own one.Is it great to bow hunt out of, NO.Gun hunting it will work,you have to be careful of the sun backlightning you the thing will glow.Try it,you'll learn how to use it.I would set it up the back off and see what it looks like.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

As mentioned, the blind should be fine for rifle hunting but isn't wide enough at window height to bowhunt out of. I have the Doghouse, Doghouse TSC and Penthouse models. I cannot tell you how satisfied I am with them especially in poor weather. Good purchase.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

As mentioned, the blind should be fine for rifle hunting but isn't wide enough at window height to bowhunt out of. I have the Doghouse, Doghouse TSC and Penthouse models. I cannot tell you how satisfied I am with them especially in poor weather. Good purchase.
I have the outhouse.I am 6' 3" and it's kind of tight.It's a little hot,but it sets up quick,and is light.The numbers are decieving because of the narrow top it doesn't give you much room,like Pabowhntr said..I would highly suggest a dove bucket style seat to swivel around,and a pair of shooting sticks.I always have to stick my gun out the window in order to shoot it.

PAbowhntr...I am taking my wife hunting this year,and must buy a larger blind is the tsc worth the extra $ for 68x68 over the 60x60 of the original doghouse?Thanks in advance!
Old 08-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

What about taking the time and making a natural blind? thats what i do sometimes.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ranchand99
PAbowhntr...I am taking my wife hunting this year,and must buy a larger blind is the tsc worth the extra $ for 68x68 over the 60x60 of the original doghouse?Thanks in advance!
No , the TSC versions aren't worth the extra money since they can never eliminate all scent . The Doghouse is also kinda small for two hunters , look at some of the larger models such as the Stackhouse or Penthouse , especially for bow hunting.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

I use and own four of the Ameristep Brickhouse models and they are great!! They are the same size as the very exspensive Double-bull's . For hunting Turkeys and hogs all you have to do is just merely pop them up and hunt and you have plenty of room inside of them.

BUT when it comes to deer hunting you need to change things up a bit.... when you are using one for deer hunting you will need to brush it in a bit, with some of the natual forage and tree limbs from the area you plan to hunt...I have seen them spook because of a new pop-up blind that was not brushed in....good luck in your hunting this fall...

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU that will say , hey I saw on TV were those Double bull hunters just popedit up and started hunting those deer, well heres the truth behind that, most of there hunts were filmed on the King ranch in South texas, you have two types of deer there One that has never seen man, and one that sees him ALL the time, so neither is really afraid of you....
Old 08-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Never used one!