Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Ground Blind Question

Old 09-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ground Blind Question

Ipurchased the new double bull dark horse blind and I was impressed. The only thing it's missing is a removable ground cover, which they don't make. Has anyone had this blind or a other type double blind and found something else to use as a ground cover? I purchased this to use with my kids and down south where I hunt, it gets morning due in the grass and I know my kids are not going to want to sit in wet grass. Any suggestions? I was thinking about sending it back to cabelas and swapping it out for the new dream season ameristep blind that drury came out with. This has a removable floor and a elevated stand that you can buy seperate, so that your blind is of the ground a few feet.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Ground Blind Question

Im not all that familar with the blinds, But wouldnt it be easier just to take blanket for the kids to sit on. its quiet and comfortable to lay down on. Or you can go to army navy store and get those pads you roll up and put on your backpack. The kind people were issued in the army.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:34 AM

Hey mate, go down and pick you up some of that camo burlap. You can spread it out on the ground and you all set. It will not make crackling sound like and tarp .

Tip: Spread it out at home and let it hang outside to get rid of the smell it has....
Old 09-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

What about folding chairs, that way they can sit AND look out of the blind without sitting in the grass.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Ameristep Doghouse TSC had a zip-out floor but I found I rarely used it. I take my 6 year old son out with me and we hunt out of several blinds that do not have floors in them. We either take two small stools with us or I take one of those little insulated fanny pads which he sits on and plays cars or colors. Works fine for what we are usually faced with.

I like the blanket idea as well. It would be nice if you could find a small "blanket" made out of goretex though as it would handle the wetness issue quite nicely.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

I like the blanket idea as well. It would be nice if you could find a small "blanket" made out of goretex though as it would handle the wetness issue quite nicely.
You could always juice it down real good with the waterproofing spray. You can get a can at Wally World for a couple bucks and its pretty effective for the price. Otherwise, hit up an army surplus store or sportsmansguide.com and find a good wool blanket. They handle the wetness very well and are very quiet.