Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scents and calling stratagies

Old 08-17-2005, 08:24 PM

Default scents and calling stratagies

startedhunting three years a go(this will be forth year)and took up bow hunting last year and was a little skidish about calling,,i was wanting to try calling more this year and was wanting some tips and stratagies so i dont mess up too bad,,hopefuly i have a rattleing bag a seven in one call,(that will be set up for buck grunts primarly), and also have "the can" by primos, and help wou7ld be apprettated,,also was wanting to try out scents,,and was wondering about how to place these,,i will be hunting over a soybean field most of the season and was wondering about makeing mock scrapes and stuff like that,, i also have a bag of the keywicks and was wondering about where to place these any help would be much appreciated
Old 08-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scents and calling stratagies

One thing about it PSE, you can mess up, but it's better to try different stuff and mess up and learn from it, then to never try it. So don't be nervous. Everytime afield for every hunter is just their own private experiment from previous knowledge they have gained. sometimes it works. more often, it doesn't.

I think probably some novice mistakes with calling (almost any calling) is calling too much. Start out soft and infrequent, especially when blind calling (def. before you see your quarry). waiting (and being ready) at least 15-20 minutes between calls.
If you see a shooter, check out his reactioons to determine how to call (if at all). If he's comin your way, don't call, let him come in naturally. If he's moving away or parallelling you, call just loud enough to get his attention, then see what he does. If he move away even faster or more agitated, he's probably gone. You might try a different call to see if you can turn him though. If he initially turns toward you in an inquisitive or curious or agitated way after you call, but then starts to lose interest, wait till he starts to turn away and then call again.
Do not call if the deer is looking in your general area and is close enough to see you (he'll pinpoint you for sure)
If a deer starts coming in after you have just called, be very careful with your movements, start looking for the earliest good shot opportunity, and get ready, because if he comes in after expecting that calling deer to be there and there is no deer there, he wont' hang around long (hopefully long enough though)
don't be afraid to mix the type of calls up. some will work better than others depending on the time and you can use them together (bleat then grunt) still sparingly though. you're a deer, not a hunter tryin to act like a deer.

I've never done any mock scrapes so don't know too much about them. I have used a drag rag effectively with doe pee. Just be as scent free as possible your self and I like it better when I put the rag on a stick and drag it on one side of me so that the rags trail and mine are parallel but slightly apart as I walk to my stand, then I might put out a little more scent around me once I get there.
Just try different stuff and pretty soon you'll find your own remedy for success.
sorry this is so long but I was bored and the question was pretty open ended
good luck

ps I think probably your stand set up, scouting, and knowledge of the terrain and deer patterns in your area are a much better weapon in your arsenal than all the scents and calling combined. If you can find points to intercept the deer when they are acting naturally with or without your influence (scents and calling) your chances will increase.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:52 PM

Default RE: scents and calling stratagies

thanks for the replie it should be very helpful,,its like teachers in school say the longer the better,,

anyways,
i know the terrain pretty good just printed a areial photo of hunting area(which is kinda small,,less than 10 acreas) as for scouting it is hard for me to do latter to season do to school and not being able to drive yet so i am at the mercy or step dad to take me to wood and early season he is usely in the fields harvisting,,hoply next year will be able to drive and bealble to scout alot and go hunting when ever i want,,after schooling that is