Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what in the world!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2005, 04:13 PM

Default what in the world!!!!!!

i just got in from scouting for deer and ive got a little story to tell. i recently bought a bag of shell corn at my local feed mill. i was going to put some out next to this game trail that i found. i went back there and just as i was about to pour the bag of corn on the ground i noticed some movement in thedistance. i paused and listened to see what i could hear. i heard some rustling of brush and i also heard what most definetly sounded like a grunting buck. i think i spooked him so i calmly walked out of there without a problem. my question is, do bucks usually grunt when there spooked to try to warn what they think spooked them? or was i just mistaken.manam i confused.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what in the world!!!!!!

Very weird. I've never heard of a reportedinstance where a deer grunted as an alarm?!?!? A grunt is a very relaxed form of whitetail vocalization and wouldn't be used in that context. I guess anything is possible in the whitetail world though???
Old 07-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hogs maybe.

Is it possable that there is some hogs in the area?
Old 08-06-2005, 09:44 PM

deer might snort and or stomp their feet if they are alarmed.if it was close to the rut, i would say that it could have been a buck in towdemonstrating his tending grunt to her. and the rustling you might have seen / heard could have been him following the doe or her running away from him. but this is kinda a stumper. instead of him warning you, he could have been warning or just comunicating with another deer or deers in there, and they just probally moved on.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:15 PM

Same thing happened to me last week. I was scouting and I spooked a buck, he ran off a little ways and started rumbing a tree and grunting for about 2 minutes.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

You didnt see a 5ft 3 blond did you ...sounds like a sound my X wife use to make ;&gt)

DD
Old 08-09-2005, 07:52 PM

Shows of dominance perhaps?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like he thought you were another deer.