Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Processing deer meat in Iowa & CWD... >

Processing deer meat in Iowa & CWD...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Processing deer meat in Iowa & CWD...

Old 09-24-2002, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Processing deer meat in Iowa & CWD...

I've been gathering as much info as I can about Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) as I can, and I've decided that I'm still going to hunt Iowa's early muzzleloader season as planned. I found out today that, because of the scare that's going around, there are a number of butchers in the Eastern Iowa area that are NOT going to accept deer for processing this summer, or they will only accept deer that have been prepared in certain ways before the meat is dropped off (i.e. deboned, decapitated, etc...). I got this info from a coworker who runs a butcher shop as a hobby, and keeps up with these topics as they relate to processing deer, but is by no means an authority on the subject of the risks of CWD to humans.

I called my butcher and he is processing deer as usual this year. I'd suggest that if you are an Iowa hunter, who doesn't do their own deer processing, you call and make sure your shop is accepting deer.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Old 09-25-2002, 12:29 PM

Default RE: Processing deer meat in Iowa & CWD...

i would have to agree most hunters should take special precautions this year with getting there deer processed contact your butcher before taking it to him

The buck stops here

James Jedlicka