Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Adding a Scope

Old 07-23-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Adding a Scope

I am looking to add a scope to my T/C OMEGA. Any body have some suggestions on a good choice. I like quality optics and I do believe thay are one of the most important tools you can have, I would like some input from other hunters on thier favorite brands.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Adding a Scope

Swarovski...best scope on the market.
Leupold Gold Ring Series...Best Scope for the money.
But I'd wait and look into the new REDFIELD SERIES...
If people think the MEADE did well with the SIMMONSMASTER SERIES wait till the 2005 line of REDFIELD OPTICS gets introduced to the publicby MEADE...
It only gets better.......
Old 07-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I, currently, have Zeiss Conquests on almost all my guns. I used to have Leupolds on everything but have been replacing them as I can afford to. My dad is a sales rep. for Zeiss so I haven't had to pay retail, and that makes a BIG difference in what I can afford to use. I just ordered two more 6.5-20's and am probably looking at around $400 each which is not bad for that quality optics.

From a dollar and cents point of view, I have killed more game over the years with Tasco optics than any other brand. They are far from the best, but sometimes economics takes precedence over quality. My dad used to rep. Burris, and I bought a few of them. Their scopes do not fit my eye, so I switched to Leupold which I like very much. Since I have been shooting Zeiss for a couple years, I like them better because they do collect more light early and late than Tasco, Burris or Leupold.

This is only my opinion, and I will not argue what others prefer or think is best. To each his own.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the Zeiss Conquest as well and have bought three from a dealer on Ebay and saved a good bit of money ...here is his web siteBay.com Seller List: elkhunter777... he seems to be a first rate dealer ..has always done me right.

DD
Old 07-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I recently bought a Zeiss Diavari VM/V 3x12x56. Can't wait to try it out this fall.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:34 PM

I agree with Swarovski or Zeiss Diavari if price is no issue and if you need to keep the price around $500-$750 then the Conquest line has your name on it. For under $500 the Nikon Monarch is about impossible to beat. I would recommend a minimum of 3x9x40 for your TC. It is a 300yd muzzleloader if you so choose and for that I would recommend at least a 4x12 with mildots.

I also would recommend you looking at the machined alloy one piece mounts from Talley. They build them specially for the TC and the entire unit (rings and bases) are all one piece of machined alloy and are VERY strong and about half the weight of normal mounting setups. Another plus is that they typically are cheaper as well. You can get them for around $40. I have been replacing ALOT of my mounting systems with these new Talley setups and LOVE them.

Good luck,
RA