Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Making your own cover scent?

Old 09-20-2002, 06:39 PM

Default Making your own cover scent?

Do any of u guys know how to make your own cover scents? i really need to know any secrets you have on this topic.. thanks

Kevin Rigsbee.........."Im gonna miss her when i get home"
Old 09-20-2002, 07:08 PM

Default RE: Making your own cover scent?

If you are going for a liquid scent, almost any kind of diluted juice native to the area is good. Apple juice, etc.

If you want to boil up some pine needles, acorns, etc., be sure to use "natural" water. Not from the tap, not from the plastic bottle, etc. All contain funny plastic scents. (Kinda defeats the purpose, right?) Stream water, puddle water (not from a pothole), etc. will help. If you want to use denatured alcohol, soak the scent giver in some, then mix 1 in 10 with water. You may have to soak some things for 2 or more weeks to get enough cover scent from them to pick up a real odor.

One thing that I do is hang out my hunting jacket on the clothes line for about a week before hunting. Rain or shine. As long as it will be dry before hunting, or I hang it somewhere dry to dry out for a day before going out.

Chubber
Old 09-20-2002, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive heard using skunk glads....and trapping a skunk and shooting it far away and letting it spray and bagging your clothes up with the leaves it sprayed on....sure it will cover human smell!

Old 09-20-2002, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use Cedar branches for storing with my clothes. Don't forget to step in cow manure if you're near a pasture.

Dan O.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:58 PM

Take acorns from the area,put about a 1/2 gal in a big pot.mash a few of them,bring to a boil for about 5 min,let cool strain and put into a spray bottle.works fairly good.

a real good cover if there are cows,put a fresh pile into a bucket cover with a couple quarts of water,stir,strain real well,(some times you have to strain two times through something like thick cotton) maybe a tee shirt. put into spray bottle. ( JUST SPRAY ON YOUR RUBBER BOOTS.)

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:27 PM

i read somewhere that u can take a pot of water and dirt and boil it (i'm not sure if u boil the dirt w/ the water) and get a spray bottle.Put a rag over the spray bottle and pour water into the bottle and the rag w/ filter out the dirt and stuff. i think thats how it went....lol

"ARISE, KILL, EAT"
Acts: 10:13
Old 09-21-2002, 11:23 PM

Some very good suggestions, I would recomend vanilla extract, alcohol (rubbing) and boiled water.

HOME MADE COVER SENT:

- Large bottle of vanilla (from the supermarket)
- Placed in 1gal. of water (after it was boiled)
- Add 2 cups of rubbing alcohol
- Place in a usable spray bottle
- Shake befor every use
- Spray librally

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-10-2002, 07:36 PM

Is this the one?

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-11-2002, 12:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would caution from using skunk scent, b/c it promotes danger. Skunks don't just walk around and spray, they only release it as defense. My buddy used to use skunk scent he made, he noticed deer would approach in caution and most time is high alert...guess what he doesn't use it anymore.

The best cover scent I used was given to me by a carpet cleaning guy...now he wouldn't tell me the actual make up. It has equal parts rubbing alcohol & water I know, but missing the kernals secret receipe. I added some boiled pine needles and that worked. But this stuff had no smell, it just eliminated odour...the bummer is he won't tell me the receipe...I have to buy it. Bloody capitalists....LOL

Old 10-11-2002, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

..No its not the one..but thanks i will try this one.thanks
...........JRED.........

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...