Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why you hunt? (for school paper) >

Why you hunt? (for school paper)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why you hunt? (for school paper)

Old 05-31-2005, 09:10 PM

Default RE: Why you hunt? (for school paper)

Thanks guys, thats plenty of opinions for my paper.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

seeing mother nature at her finest. peace, quiet, solitude, challenge. it is a passageway to something primeval in all of us, and we are some of the lucky few that get to embrace it. and better yet, we know it.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:59 PM

I have to kill something otherwise I would have to do it at work! Kidding, maybe? I hunt for the whole package, being one with nature, watching all wildlife, camping, roughing it, getting away from the norm and the spouse etc. When I first started hunting years ago I tried so hard to get a deer and would get mad when I did not, then once I learned that if I go out not caring whether I bag an animal or not, they were everywhere. For most of us it becomes a passion that we think about all year long and spend most of the off season preparing for the next one. It is hard to explain until someone experiances it. It is addictive and we spend alot of money to do it. I personnally have spent approx 50,000 in the last two years to hunt. bought land, built a cabin, new guns and accessories. Please don't confuse hunters with criminals such as poachers, trespassers etc. they are not hunters just law breakers.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:37 AM

We were born to hunt just like the rest of the animals..., except we are scientific and more evolved.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt (1) to participate in a long tradition, (2) to experience and enjoy the outdoors, and (3) to obtain game meat for my gourmet dinners.

It may seem that "participating in a tradition" is an empty reason. It sounds almost like doing something because it has been done before. I mean more by this. In this particular case, it is my opinion that participating in the tradition of hunting reveals our nature to ourselves and gives us a better understanding of ourself, our place in the world, and our relationship to our ancestors back to the cave men. We live a comfortable existence -- air conditioned homes and cars, ample food on the table, labor saving devices at our beck and call -- because we have collectively applied our brains to common problems and shared solutions. Hunting definitely is included. It takes brains to devise an efficient and capable weapon. It takes brains to learn where best to lie in ambush for a deer. The knowledge of building and handling weapons and how to take game has been passed down through the ages. Additionally, while I may confront and solve a hunting problem alone, I am aware that men thousands of years ago solved the same problem and experienced the same thrill and satisfaction when the clever workings of their minds had worked out where to lie in ambush for the deer -- overlooking a funnel. When I sit out in the dark and see the constellation of Orion high in the sky in a cold late November pre-dawn morning, I like to think of other hunters out under the same constellation three thousands years ago. We eat meat. We take life to sustain our own lives. Buying neatly wrapped packages of meat at the supermarket cloaks this reality and keeps us unaware of this reality. Hunting, shooting a deer, sticking your knife into the belly of the deer, and thereafter your hands into its steaming guts brings reality close. There is something disquieting about this experience and there is something nurturing and assuring about this experience. I skin, cut-up, and package my own meat, which gives me a further indoctrination in the reality of life as at least a part-time carnivore.

Hunting is an excellent way to enjoy the outdoors. I like to fish, to hike, and to backpack also. These are enjoyable outdoor pursuits, but hunting has a deeper and more substantive feeling for me than these others. I think hunting calls upon more of my abilities and reserves. It is physically more demanding, as you can't take the easiest path as you can backpacking. I have to have more of my wits about me and be more aware of my surroundings than in fishing, hiking, or backpacking. Hunting more fully engages me in the outdoor experience. I have to melt into the shadow of a tree and blend against the background of a rock. I have to remain motionless. I have to avert my eyes when a deer looks directly at me. I slow my movements dramatically. I'm out in the woods two hours before sun up and hear the owls which I wouldn't hear if just out for a hike. Backpacking I would still be in my comfortable sleeping bag. Hunting, I have to walk through the woods and find my way in the dark. The stars are my companions. Just a different, fuller outdoor experience in my opinion.

I like to cook and am an excellent cook. Some great dishes are based on game. Regrettably, I am not rich, so the most reliable method to stock my table with game is by bagging the game myself by hunting.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

family tradition
meat
being out in nature
being with friends
the challenge
exactly the same reason i do
Old 06-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

To appreciate wildlife and Nature, Meat, Buddies, the peace obtained while doing it!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:28 PM

I consider myself to be a steward of the environment and a management tool. I plant plots for the deer and thin does to keep the population healthy but I am also a predator. I am on top (or damn near the top) of the food chain and it is my responcibility to prey on animals that are below me on the chain. I also enjoy the tranquility of the woods regardless of whether or not I kill a deer. Filling my freezer is an added bonus of being a hunter.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:29 AM

Edward Abbey said it best....

"The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information."
Old 06-07-2005, 05:03 AM

I think we all have a different reason we hunt for me its just being out there getting away from everything and relaxing i do like the meat but i would still go even if i wasnt hunting