Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need help with Path taking to stand >

Need help with Path taking to stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help with Path taking to stand

Old 09-19-2002, 03:00 AM

Default Need help with Path taking to stand

I think I have a good tree picked out for my stand. Bare with me here. It is in a wooded area, that is surrounded by bean fields and more bean fields. Within this is one large creek, and a little pond. Around this pond is a large vast of deer activity (Mostly tracks) now my stand is on the edge of the woods where I can keep an eye on the "pond" and in the fields. The deer's path is from the east to west crossing through the woods. The pond is the only water source. Now my problems are : 1. There are several wooded areas I have to pass by in order to get to my stand. EVERYTIME I spook some out of the same woods. There is no way to go around this woods either. 2. Then if I manage to get past this woods, I have to deal with the fact that I am making all kinds of noise walking through the beans. There no way around this either. And I can do 1 of 3 things. I can take the long way around to my stand which I don't think is good b/c early in the morning deer are in the fields feeding. I would be in the fields 99% of the time, again making more noise. 2. I can spook the deer and make more noise and just go straight to my stand but if I manage that then what should I do about the water hole by my stand. I certainly don't want them to be drinking right by my stand and I walking up on them. 3. I can go another long route which........uh that route is shot to ****. Won't never work. So...any hunting experts have any idea what I should do. I must say that sunrise here in West TN is aroun 5:00, I get in the woods around 4. Just for the fact that I want everything that I spooked to have enough time to calm back down.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:39 PM

Default RE: Need help with Path taking to stand

Well, it seems that your between a rock and a hard place. I would have to say when your walking to your stand, take 6-10 steps and pause for 3-5 seconds, take 6-10 more steps and pause again for 3-5 seconds until you get to your stand. This will help break up your sound, also get to your stand eariler, as much as 1.5 hrs before sunlight will help the woods calm after your treck to your stand. Good luck and let me know how you fair!
Old 09-20-2002, 06:42 PM

Don't hunt that stand in the morning. Hunt there in the evening or get there around 10 am during the full moon. I have a similar situation. That is what I do. Unless it is during the peak of the rut then I would hunt there all day. let me know what you decide to do.
Eddie
Old 09-20-2002, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

This may seem like an odd question, but do you have any armadillos on your property? We have a lot here in Arkansas and I noticed years ago that there is nothing that makes more noise than an armadillo in the woods. I also noticed that the deer didnt worry about the noise they make at all. So I listened carefully. Armadillos are short, squatty little things and they shuffle along. You cannot hear them take steps. Its just a constant, loud shuffle. They stop every now and then to root around in the leaves and thats it. Humans take big, heavy steps. Thats what deer are tuned in to. So several years ago I decided to try to mimic the sound of an armadillo when I head into the woods. I shuffle my feet...never pick them up off the ground...and stop every 10 feet or so and nose the toe of my boot around in the leaves for a few seconds and then start shuffling again. It seems weird to make that much noise on purpose, but I'm telling you it works. If the wind is right, I have shuffled up within 20 yards of deer in the dark. All the guys at my camp are sold on it now...my cousin shuffled up on a big buck that was standing under his ladder stand last season. He got so close before he noticed the buck that he was afraid it might hurt him if it spooked (no shot...it was way before first light). Try it if you have 'dillos and let me know what you think.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:24 PM

I think Scrider is on to something....

Here in WV the turkeys make a helluva racket in the fall rooting around and scratching up acorns. Last year I tried something new, as I moved from stands I would take several steps, then use a diaphram call. The first time I used that tactic, I bagged one.......didn't even look up as I walked through the dry leaves.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, springobbler...come back and let me know how it works for you this season. We have a lot of Fall turkey activity, too, so I might try your idea. Hard to beat the armadillos, though, because they are so noisey.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I think Scrider is on to something....

Here in WV the turkeys make a helluva racket in the fall rooting around and scratching up acorns. Last year I tried something new, as I moved from stands I would take several steps, then use a diaphram call. The first time I used that tactic, I bagged one.......didn't even look up as I walked through the dry leaves.

Good luck!
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>