Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Taking pictures of deer from your stand. >

Taking pictures of deer from your stand.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taking pictures of deer from your stand.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Taking pictures of deer from your stand.

How do you guys do it? I started taking my camera with me to take pictures of deer I pass on. Problem is I never remember until they are gone [8D][:-]. The last thing on my mind with deer in bowrange is getting my camera out. I'm watching/studying and trying to be as still as possible. It must be a learned skill to be able to get your camera out and in position without alerting deer . Maybe I'll practice on some does today.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taking pictures of deer from your stand.

When I first started taking my camera with me, I had the same problem. Now, I try to determine if I'm going to attempt to take the deer if it comes in range. If I know I'm gonna pass, then I'll think about getting my camera out and taking some pics. If they're at a distance, there's often time to take pics and get the bow ready for a possible shot. I have lots of pictures of deer with my stabilizer or part of my bow in the picture since I'm holding both at times!
Old 10-29-2007, 03:57 AM
Host of Hosts

I just started taking a camcorder with me this year. Like DaveH I determine if I'm gonna shoot the deer and if not I get the camera rolling. Of course I have alot of Doe pics. I did get a decent 8 on film thursday, but at the time I thought he was a big 6. It wasn't until I looked at the tape that the brow tines were visable. He came though pretty quick so I only got about 30-40 seconds of video. I really enjoy taking the pics and video. I hope I don't get too wrapped up in it though those "good" cameras are over 2,000.00 and I'd have a hard time explaining that one to the wife. Anyone got any side jobs they need done?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

i started keeping my camera right in my coat pocket. when deer are coming in i decide quick...camera or bow

only got pics of 1 4pt this year..didnt start carrying it in my pocket till that trip though. i was worried that the lense coming out would spook them. the buck never even LOOKED when the lense came out making noise. then i realized the flash was on...he still didnt care lol...

for now on it stays in the coat pocket where i can grab it easily. never know what will walk by...like a couple weeks ago i had a critted ive never seen come by...i know it was a weasle, mink, or fisher...all in the same family...could been any of them...i am confused on size so i cant say what it was...i was higher in the tree than normal and it really threw things off for me...
Old 10-29-2007, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had four turkeys walk by me on Saturday. That was a nice break. I was wishing I had my turkey calls along. Time to add to the goodie bag maybe. One nice thing about a blind vice a stand, I can take a lot more with me.