Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 What is the best way to mark a path to your stand? >

What is the best way to mark a path to your stand?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What is the best way to mark a path to your stand?

Old 01-10-2004, 09:05 PM

Default What is the best way to mark a path to your stand?

I have hunted with guys and have wondered how do they find their stands, early in the morning. How do you locate your stand in bad weather, for example in snow or heavy rain? Do you use tacks, or lean branches against trees as you head toward your area, or GPS in the dark, interested in hearing what you have to say!

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-11-2004, 04:45 AM

Default RE: What is the best way to mark a path to your stand?

Hmmmm seems to me that you already asked this question & got numerous answers!!!!!!!! I have a timer on mine & at whatever hour I set it at...a revolving light comes on like a lighthose & a siren starts to sound off!!!!!!Never have a problem finding it....never got any deer from it either but what the heck!!!!!!!!!! [:-] Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 01-11-2004, 06:11 AM

Brampton Mike,

Great response, but I wasn't the one who posted this question..lol Anyway, good luck with your hunting, take care.

Dr. Mike
Old 01-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most of my stands I can find without a light, but If I'm huntng a new spot that I'm not to familair with I will leave some kind of marker such as limbs, a log or forked tree or just about anything will work, Main thing is when you do leave markers such as this try and remember right where your satnd is from these different points and what the lay of the land is near your stand.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:11 PM

Stay away from the reflective markers they make it easy for people to steal your stands using spot lights at night. They just follow them to your stand.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:47 AM

we will use rocks or wood stakes. we use them now and it really helps in the dark
Old 01-12-2004, 04:18 AM

ORIGINAL: outdoor338

Brampton Mike,

Great response, but I wasn't the one who posted this question..lol Anyway, good luck with your hunting, take care.

Dr. Mike

[] Wel if you go to the deer hunting forum....there is a Dr. Mike akautdoor338 that posted the same question!!!!!!!! You trying to tell us that was not you????? Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 01-12-2004, 06:09 AM

Brampton Mike,

This is a great website, I enjoy posting questions, love the responses, and will continue to do so, in fact these folks are great sources of information, I respect what they have to say, even your posts, but don't like getting into debates over frivolous arguments, have a great day my friend.

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

It depends on which area I am hunting. If it is an area that I am very familiar with then I will throw up a few reflective tacks on the tree I plan on hunting out of as well as one or two along some well worn paths to let me know that I am headed in the right direction.

On the other hand if it is a relatively new area to me then I will use the tacks on the specific tree in combination with my GPS unit as I did this past Saturday. The GPS gets me within 10 yards or so and then the tacks get me right to the tree.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this sounds pretty elementary, but being familiar with the area is a pretty good start. The other thing is; Flashlights...They can screw with your mind more than any other thing when you're traveling in the dark.

I try not to use mine unless I am walking in very dangerous terrain. (Narrow trail with a long fall)

The other factor is; your frame of mind.

I usually make it a point NOT to care if I get to a certain point by a certain time, I walk around and do what I do...I'll get there when I get there. I have found that hunting alone tends to eliminate all the worry about being in a certain place at a certain time. The same concept holds true for coming in at the end of the day.

If no one is waiting for me when I get out, then I can do what I want AS I get out, and not have to worry about being at the truck at a certain time.

Like I said, it sounds pretty elementary, but it seems to work pretty well for me.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to mark a path to your stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.