Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Vendor Forums > White Knuckle Productions
 Gray Wolf Woolens question >

Gray Wolf Woolens question

Community
White Knuckle Productions The Official White Knuckle Productions Forum.

Gray Wolf Woolens question

Old 12-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Spike

Default Gray Wolf Woolens question

Hey guys,

I know many of you guys wear Gray Wolf and I'm really trying to figure out if I want to take the leap and drop some serious $$$.The gear looks fantastic andI really like the idea of them being custom made.I'm looking for advice and opinions...pros vs. cons....thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:54 PM

Default RE: Gray Wolf Woolens question

The only con I see is the price. But if you want a some camo that will last a long time and feel perfect for you in the woods than it's the stuff for you. I highly recommend the bibs in the wolfskin. The full leg zippers are great! That's what i have w/ the wolfskin coat.

Jeff the owner is a great guy and whatever you want on your clothing he can pretty much do. It really fits great when you get them custom made. Let him know though if you like yours w/ a little room or a little tighter to the body. i liked mine tighter and had to tell him to do it that way.

This is my second year w/ them and no problems.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much everything Tyler just said!! I love mine, I had both my early camo and warm camo in Jeff's tree line and wolf skin camo and have to say it works as good as any predator that I have worn.. Walt
Old 12-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you this much about Gray Wolf, it is really something that once you start using, you'll wonder what the heck you were doing before. The Wolfskin is so soft, quiet, and comfortable that it really feels like you're wearing you're PJ's in the woods. I've been wearing Jeff's stuff now for about 7 years I believe - and won't wear anything else.

Quick note - get double knees on you're pants / bibs. They will help protect them for many years to come.

The only "down side" in my mind is the lead-time. You can pretty much garentee a 2-3 month lead-time for custom gear. That should tell you about the quality. If you are serious about getting some stuff, get the order placed as soon as possible to garentee that you will get you're stuff by hunting season.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

The stuff is greatand I will say I will need a new set of wools for next season and Ill be replacingmy Autumnwood Wool coat and bibs which is also expensive with Gray Wolf wools in Fall Gray if its availible. There isnt ANYTHING out there that compairs to wool gear for cold temps.

Jay
Old 12-31-2007, 05:24 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input fellas!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started wearing Gray Wolf last season. When I REALLY came to appreciate it was on my elk hunt out in Colorado. It was the "little" things that just made these garments stand out for me...

The "gathers" at the bottom of the pant legsis a continuouselastic-like cord with one of those push-button sliders on it that allows you to quickly cinch up the pant leg while the button is pushed, and when you release the button, it's held firm. That is SUCH a nice touch after having dealt with the cotton strings on Predator's pants for years and having them pick up all kinds of cuckleburrs and beggar's lice, as well as just the time it takes to mess with tying them and having them continually come undone... These are sweet.

The first time you bury your hands into your pockets when it's in the mid '30s or below, you're going to fall in love with the fact that the inside pockets are felt lined. Talk about luxurious!! You'll feel spoiled, for sure.

I decided on a slow spot-and-stalk routine one morning in some light rain while we were still trying to get on some elk... I had some rain gear with me but opted not to take it, placing my trust in the repellant nature of the Wolfskin I was wearing. After moving slowly through thick and sometimes almost-unpenetrable foliage for the better part of five hours, I was still dry as a bone under my Gray Wolf gear.

I spent the better part of the morning at our local Cabela's comparing base-layer offerings, and can safely say that almost every top-quality polar weight base layer comes in at a price of at LEAST $50 -- for your choice of a top or a bottom, and people buy them at those prices like they're going out of style. That's well over $100 just for underwear, basically. When you think of how much more the GWW garments offer than a mere base layer, with their all their features, to include being near-rip proof, burr proof, extremely water repellant (mine are absolutely DRY after just going through the spin cycle in my washing machine), color-fast, and fade-proof... Well, yeah... I think they're worth the price!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Spike

Greg,
Thanks for the great info.

How warm are the lined garments in cold weather, does it require a lot of layering? Here in Mississippi, it doesn't get quite as cold as the Midwest where most of you guys hunt,soIfigure ya'll may have a good opinion on that. The 20s in late season is not uncommon here, but usually low to mid-30s. So my basic question is, how warmis the unlined?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:30 AM

jgunn,

the wolfskin alone would need a lot of layering to beused in 20-30 degree temps, but it can be done. several people i know ordered a little large just for that purpose. one friend puts his over his berber just for the fact that he likes the camo and it is a wind stopper. they get away with just one suit, but it isn't ideal. i don't like the idea of how baggy it is when you don't layer.

i just got a pair of bibs and jacket with the comfort max lining (just under $600). they cover a wide temperature range. you can wear it alone in the cool temps and layer when it gets cold (20's). you will not need anything more than that. if you get down tosingle digetsor below zeroi would get wool.

now if you're like todd this is another story. in that case i would get the wool for when temps get down in the 40's.

in a perfect world i'd have three suitswolfskin alone, comfortmax, and wool, but it is way to much money. i picked the one that i would use the most and i'm very happy with it.

good luck

Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

First - I'm a big baby. If I'm warm in the below description - then anyone will be. Just ask anyone who's hunted with me.

I bought a brand new set of fleece clothing (300 weight Polartech) from Campmore this fall. I got my fleece coat for $30.00 and fleece pants for $20.00. I recently wore my wolfskin lined bibs w/ a pair of light-weight long underwear (Patagonia), a lightweight Patagonia top, with my fleece coat, and the Gray Wolf lined coat.

It was 27 degrees when we went out, probably dropped to 22 or 23 by the end of the night. My feet were so cold by the time we got down that I was about to cry if that tells you anything. My upper-body and lower body (except for feet) were toasty warm.

Quick Reply: Gray Wolf Woolens question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.