HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gray Wolf Woolens question
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Greg / MO
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gray Wolf Woolens question

I started wearing Gray Wolf last season. When I REALLY came to appreciate it was on my elk hunt out in Colorado. It was the "little" things that just made these garments stand out for me...

The "gathers" at the bottom of the pant legsis a continuouselastic-like cord with one of those push-button sliders on it that allows you to quickly cinch up the pant leg while the button is pushed, and when you release the button, it's held firm. That is SUCH a nice touch after having dealt with the cotton strings on Predator's pants for years and having them pick up all kinds of cuckleburrs and beggar's lice, as well as just the time it takes to mess with tying them and having them continually come undone... These are sweet.

The first time you bury your hands into your pockets when it's in the mid '30s or below, you're going to fall in love with the fact that the inside pockets are felt lined. Talk about luxurious!! You'll feel spoiled, for sure.

I decided on a slow spot-and-stalk routine one morning in some light rain while we were still trying to get on some elk... I had some rain gear with me but opted not to take it, placing my trust in the repellant nature of the Wolfskin I was wearing. After moving slowly through thick and sometimes almost-unpenetrable foliage for the better part of five hours, I was still dry as a bone under my Gray Wolf gear.

I spent the better part of the morning at our local Cabela's comparing base-layer offerings, and can safely say that almost every top-quality polar weight base layer comes in at a price of at LEAST $50 -- for your choice of a top or a bottom, and people buy them at those prices like they're going out of style. That's well over $100 just for underwear, basically. When you think of how much more the GWW garments offer than a mere base layer, with their all their features, to include being near-rip proof, burr proof, extremely water repellant (mine are absolutely DRY after just going through the spin cycle in my washing machine), color-fast, and fade-proof... Well, yeah... I think they're worth the price!