Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 land in the west >

land in the west

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

land in the west

Old 04-30-2005, 07:35 PM

Default RE: land in the west

Thats why you have to check it out before you buy.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of my favorite spots are controlled by private land owners. Alot of times the easy way in is blocked, but if you study maps and use a GPS. You can find your way around and into prime territory by putting forth a little effort. I happened to become great friends with a landowner in this situation. I hunted antelope on prime ground and was virtually by myself. I have another pocket that I hunt that takes a while to walk in. But when I do, I usually have the place to myself because you will loose a large percentage of the people when you stray from the roads. Yes it makes it harder for us to access, but it also makes it harder for the rest to access it. Most of the time, you can find a way in without tresspasing. I know where you all are coming from though, but if I had a choice to buy some land, I would look for a set-up like this. The shoe would be on the other foot if you were the one that owned the property I bet.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:29 AM

There is lots of public land out this way - no need to own very much.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 PM

Take a look at the Methow Valley in Washington. Look at Methow.com. The deer hunting is great and there are loads of turkeys. Elk hunting is about two hours away. Also Okanogan county is great hunting and in some areas the limit is two deer. The land is cheaper in Okanogan. Both area are loaded with lots of good land. Email me and I will send you a few links.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:27 AM

)
ORIGINAL: RyanH

Locking up acess to large portions of public property is wrong because it belongs to all of us there should be a law for easements...
There usually is. In theory, and I do emphasize THEORY, it is against the law to land lock public land. Landowners are supposed to provide access to public land. The kicker is, if there is any way possible to get to that public land another way, then they don't have to provide it. Plus, all the landowners around a property can fight and argue for years who is "supposed" to grant access. Most let it die and all is forgetten and these chunks sit out there land locked.

You can cause a fuss going through your local government or even the feds if it's BLM, FS, etc., but you do have a gripe and rights to that land. Beware that the landowners usually have good lawyers (seems like they get one free for owning that much land! ) and when they get involved it can become worthless. They know all the tricks to lock up the process.

In SW Wyo, alot of effort is going on to provide public access to this type of land and Wyoming even has an "Access Yes" program to help "buy" access into areas.

Bottomline, if you know of a piece that is land locked, do a little digging or stir the pot a bit. You might end up on it next hunting season or you might cussing yourself for even trying!! [:@]
Old 06-03-2005, 09:08 AM

The deal in washington is say no and make them get a lawyer to challenge you chances are they wont spend 20-30 K and will just give up. The sherrifs dont want any ting to do with land disputes they come out and inform both parties of there civil options and call it a day. I have seen this happen in many areas where BLM,DNR state fish and wildlife land is landlocked. The other thing that happens here is one person sells there place and "forgets to tell" the buyer that there is an easement for acress to the land adjacent and the new ower thinks that since no one told him when he bought the place it not there problem.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Spike

Boonies near flagstaff and the white mountians in Arizona are nice. You could also try Sierra vista, it's got whitetails