Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Idaho Elk and Deer Hunt >

Idaho Elk and Deer Hunt

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Idaho Elk and Deer Hunt

Old 02-06-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Idaho Elk and Deer Hunt

Has anyone hunted the Salmon National Forest in Idaho? I have hunted elk and deer for years in ELk city but I was too late for tags this year. I am researching units 21, 21a and surrounding areas.
Are there good mulies?
What is the terrain like?
Is it heavily hunted?
How is the elk herd?

I am a new member this is my first post to the forum any hints.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idaho Elk and Deer Hunt

Wow they are sold out, I didn't realize they went that fast. Unless you enjoy pain I would go with 21a as it will probably have easier access. I haven't been there much but I live near Elk City spent alot of time in 16, 17 and 20. It's some real steep country. Chances are that there won't be near as many roads as there are around Elk City. If your the "do anything" type go to 20 probably less pressure. But if your not physically prepared for that go to 21a. Thats my best guess.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:20 PM

Does unit 20 have good size or average animals? I'm pretty sure I am going to try unit 21 & 21a to check it out but I am just now starting to research the unit. Does idfg close roads in these units as they do in Elk City? Have you actually hunted in 21a? What kind of terrain am I looking at between 1-5. I am used to hunting hard and steep canyons don't bother me but what does in timber so thick I cant see through it. Anyway thanks for the response always nice to swap stories. Any information is appreciated.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's down by Salmon so thick timber probably won't be a problem. No I haven't hunted down there but I've driven through numerous times. I'm sure some roads are gated as happens in every roaded unit. I don't know what kind of stuff you've hunted but if you've been down in Mallard Cr. or some of the other steep country around Dixie then the steepness probably won't be a problem.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:53 PM

I live here in Salmon and hunt 21A. The terrain is steep and very rough. A good portion of roads start closing around the 15th of September. There are a few nice bucks and bulls if you can find them. I don't recommend the area around Salmon if you are out-of-shape and unfamiliar with the country. Also, the wolves are not easy on elk herd around here. I hope this will help.