Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 finding sheds??? >

finding sheds???

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

finding sheds???

Old 02-26-2005, 02:47 PM

Default RE: finding sheds???

In a normal year, not this one, you find the horns where the elk winterd. THis winter has to go down in the books as the most mild in history. We haven't harldy even had any snow in this part of the state.. 58 degrees today.

When we look for elk sheds, we start looking now, maybe spot a group of bulls wintering in remote locations. We stay away from them so as not to strees them, and once or twice a week go back to the general vacinity and seee where they are. Then once they start to drop, we go to where the elk were, they move around lots, and we start looking. With bino's and spotting scopes. It is just like hunting. We have rarely found them in heavey timber. Usually out in the open, sagebrush, and grasssy flats. Wind swept ridges and even after the snow melts. In south West Wy, my son just got back, he said that there is 3' of snow on the level ground. So you can bet there are antlers under that snow, deer probably not elk.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:48 PM

Im from Central Idaho and have been finding deer sheds. A few elk so far. Anybody slowing down for finding deer sheds?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:00 AM

Went out for most of the day and Saw three cows up on the ridge. Elk sign and droppings everywhere but not one shed. Either they havn't dropped em yet or the locals are getting to them first. Did find what I think to be an Elk Jawbone...but I am not sure. Its big.

I will let you guys know when I am coming through Wyoming so you can give me some hints. Later
Old 03-08-2005, 06:25 PM

the park forbids the public from taking shed out of yellowstone.Try the decker flats and the yellowstone river valley north of the border. Good luck from a Pa. hunter.