Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 is this happening in your area?!?!?!?! >

is this happening in your area?!?!?!?!

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

is this happening in your area?!?!?!?!

Old 11-05-2004, 10:04 AM

Default is this happening in your area?!?!?!?!

ok,

i couldn't get tags this year...in fact i couldn't get tags for most of the sierra nevada...the DFG didn't have any on opening day either and didn't even open their office (this has never happened before)...i thought that maybe it was just bad luck but while talking to the boys at work about it i was told that some enviro-wacko group had raised funds, got hunting licenes, applied for and got a huge number of the availiable tags....which they destroyed!!!!!

has anyone here heard of this happeneing in your areas?

what can be done about this?

i am an ethical hunter but it can drive a person to poach...we really need the meat and it seems unfair for this kind of crap to be happening...i have never poached and will never but i can't say that the thought hasn't crossed my mind (for the 1st time ever)...just imagine all those deer that will starve because we weren't allowed to take off the excess animals in an already over populated area...heck, i watched a doe and her 2 fawns starve to death in my own backyard last year.....what a shame!!! and frustrating!!!!

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 11-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: is this happening in your area?!?!?!?!

In our state the anti's were applying for controlled hunt permits. When they would get them they would never claim them and they would go to waste. Idaho fish and game dept. made a second drawing for the unclaimed tags. If they go unclaimed, they go for sale over the counter. We used to have a huge amount of tags go unclaimed. The only way the anti's can get them now is to actually pay for them in full. Otherwise they go to another person.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:31 PM

am an ethical hunter but it can drive a person to poach...we really need the meat and it seems unfair for this kind of crap to be happening...i have never poached and will never but i can't say that the thought hasn't crossed my mind (for the 1st time ever)...just imagine all those deer that will starve because we weren't allowed to take off the excess animals in an already over populated area...heck, i watched a doe and her 2 fawns starve to death in my own backyard last year.....what a shame!!! and frustrating!!!!

Well I'd look at it this way, I know our State wants to do somethings regarding permit only and raffle type drawings and I told them if it came to it,1) I DON'T gamble for my hunting RIGHT and 2) I don't think God sees us as being unethical about how much we "pay" to harvest His creations? I told some of my WFDW officals if it came down to it, Come October or November I'd go out and harvest my 1 deer and 1 Elk...regardless of how much I paid. If you really relie on the meat to either survive or in order to spend that"meat" money on some other essential I'd say go for it. I know that's probably not a very popular view but...you gotta survive...right?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:45 PM

If ever poaching could be justified, this is it. Many years ago in Illinois you used to have to apply for a permit, well I didn't get one, nor any of my family and freinds, you guessed it, animals rights nuts bought em all up. I too thought of going out and shooting my deer anyway, and I'll never say whether or not I did.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

UN****in' believable these anti hunting wackos have taken it to far, If i ever see some hippie looking **** at wally world with his rainbow t-shirt and long A$$ hair buying a deer permit. I think I might just have to strike up a conversation with the guy if you know what i mean
Old 11-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

This does SUCK!!,and they also don't want you to drive an ATV, truck or snowmobile in thier areas either!
ORIGINAL: Michael J. Weigel

ok,

i couldn't get tags this year...in fact i couldn't get tags for most of the sierra nevada...the DFG didn't have any on opening day either and didn't even open their office (this has never happened before)...i thought that maybe it was just bad luck but while talking to the boys at work about it i was told that some enviro-wacko group had raised funds, got hunting licenes, applied for and got a huge number of the availiable tags....which they destroyed!!!!!

has anyone here heard of this happeneing in your areas?

what can be done about this?

i am an ethical hunter but it can drive a person to poach...we really need the meat and it seems unfair for this kind of crap to be happening...i have never poached and will never but i can't say that the thought hasn't crossed my mind (for the 1st time ever)...just imagine all those deer that will starve because we weren't allowed to take off the excess animals in an already over populated area...heck, i watched a doe and her 2 fawns starve to death in my own backyard last year.....what a shame!!! and frustrating!!!!

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 11-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

That circumstace would certainly tempt me! [:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 11-29-2004, 10:57 AM

I believe that a harvest amount is a sensible way to get around this issue. I suggested a few years back to the Nebraska Game Commission that they look at harvest instead of permit levels. If they issue 500 permits in a particular area they expect a 80% success rate which means expect to harvest 400 animals. If they issue 500 permits and only harvest 300 animals then go into a second drawing for people who did not get permits in the first drawing to issue another permits to harvest the remaining 100 animals. It only makes sense to harvest what you expect since the counts are based on what the area will support with out disease running rampant. That keep the harvest steady, the population at its acceptable number, keeps the anti hunting group from interfering and actually puts a little more money in the coffers for management.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:49 PM

UN****in' believable these anti hunting wackos have taken it to far, If i ever see some hippie looking **** at wally world with his rainbow t-shirt and long A$$ hair buying a deer permit. I think I might just have to strike up a conversation with the guy if you know what i mean

be careful the guy might hit on you! anyway yeah this does suck since the ANTIS will do anything to prevent hunters from hunting. You know what else too guys is that maybe the antis are hurting the conservation in the area without even knowing it, like if they are going to buy a tag they need a conservation stamp. I will bet you that when they get that tag in the mail that they chuck it in the trash and not even buy the stamp and in the process the area gets overpopulated and is not controlled. Essentially these anti wackos are hurting conservation. And no i dont see a problem with MJW poaching because of some anti wackos took his tag.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:39 PM

Poaching can never be justified under any circumstance!! There are much more effective ways to fight this issue than simply 'poaching'. What would happen if everybody that didn't get a permit said what the heck I got screwed so I am going to just go get one anyway-sounds like the old days when we killed everything nearly to extinction to me-arm yourself for next year-approach the problem don't kill the outcome because it will not be the ANTI in jail if you poach it will be the guy who does it by the book.

Quick Reply: is this happening in your area?!?!?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.