Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 I may have just blown it! >

I may have just blown it!

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

I may have just blown it!

Old 11-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I may have just blown it!

Yep, you're probably right. Rifle guys should have some good action, especially with the temps runnin' in the 50's. With a little drizzle, they'll be lookin' for love in more open areas.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:34 PM

Trapper

That buck in Issaquah may have done you a favor by walking off.

People in Issaquah can be pretty uptight (I know first hand living in Sammamish). You never know if a neighbor will call the cops at the sound of a gun. My neighbor has called them twice in the last week because someone was shooting fire works when the Red Sox won. They thought it was a gun.

Last year there was a road crew working on 228th through the plateau. We jhave some nice deer up here and one of the road crew guys had a similar thing happen. Gun was in the truck and the deer hung around. He nailed it but the cops nailed him as it is illegal to dischage a firearm in King county. He got to keep the deer but lost his gun and paid a major fine.

Now a bow on the other hand would be the call. I've been thinking about doing some suburb stalking. A few weeks ago a car hit an really nice buck (probably a 4x4) in about the same place the road crew guy got his. Broke my heart to see such an awesome animal go to waste.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:30 AM

Slee,

I am with you on rattling blacktail..... but I have seen enough areas where bucks have fought to believe it should work in the right instance.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:30 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sure there is an instance where it is THE trick, but I always wonder if I'm not scaring off more than I see. I think they will fight, but I think they do most of their breeding/fighting/feeding at night.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:42 AM

ORIGINAL: scottr

Trapper

That buck in Issaquah may have done you a favor by walking off.

People in Issaquah can be pretty uptight (I know first hand living in Sammamish). You never know if a neighbor will call the cops at the sound of a gun. My neighbor has called them twice in the last week because someone was shooting fire works when the Red Sox won. They thought it was a gun.

Last year there was a road crew working on 228th through the plateau. We jhave some nice deer up here and one of the road crew guys had a similar thing happen. Gun was in the truck and the deer hung around. He nailed it but the cops nailed him as it is illegal to dischage a firearm in King county. He got to keep the deer but lost his gun and paid a major fine.

Now a bow on the other hand would be the call. I've been thinking about doing some suburb stalking. A few weeks ago a car hit an really nice buck (probably a 4x4) in about the same place the road crew guy got his. Broke my heart to see such an awesome animal go to waste.
that weighed pretty heavily on my mind, tha's probably why I asked if I should shoot it instead of running out to the truck. This winter I WILL get my bow ready to shoot and get some practice on it. My Co- worker said that was the biggest Buck he'd ever seen, then on Monday He told me that He watched an even Bigger one at another house.

I'm sure there is an instance where it is THE trick, but I always wonder if I'm not scaring off more than I see. I think they will fight, but I think they do most of their breeding/fighting/feeding at night.
That's what I wonder too...these Blackies are so reclusive, I could hear them in the timber but it did seem like they'd just skirt the edge and not quite scome out.I had been reading on being a little aggressive on rattling, but myabe I'll try just the opposite?