Wyoming area 58 for elk >

Wyoming area 58 for elk

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Wyoming area 58 for elk

Old 03-01-2002, 01:44 PM
Spike

Default Wyoming area 58 for elk

I still can't hardly believe it but I drew one of two nonresident elk tags for area 58 just south of Cody. Anybody have any suggestions or advice for that area? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-01-2002, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wyoming area 58 for elk

dont have much advice but I am also seeking anyone's ideas that has hunted WY....cant say where I drew as heck I still dont know. Put in with another guy who has hunted the area a few times and bam, got drawn so I am going on his word. That and his old partner who is now a Wy resident.....You talk cant believe....I put in from 6-8 tags every year here and I cant get drawn for diddly....one time for elk and bam! Some of the draws here are 5 or 6 times the odds or better to draw and to heck if I can get one LOL!
Old 03-01-2002, 04:28 PM

I suppose you drew the late season hunt?

If so you should see a bull or 2 thats for sure.

Old 03-01-2002, 04:58 PM
Spike

I drew the any elk tag that opens Nov.1 for firearms. I'm really thinking about going out for archery season though. What do you think?
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I suppose you drew the late season hunt?

If so you should see a bull or 2 thats for sure.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 03-01-2002, 08:30 PM

I have a friend here in town that usually archery hunts area 58 for cows. He sees quite a few bulls then.

I hear the later you hunt the better your chance for seeing more elk. They move in there as the snow sets in.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:31 PM

BTW if you archery hunt be sure to have some bear spray along, quite a few grizz in there.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:41 PM
Spike

Thanks for the heads up Wyote. I hunted in the Thorofare a few years ago and my guide was mauled. Don't want to relive that again.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey Non...dunno if you ever make it up to Whitebear Lake but if you get a chance to go. Check out the Compound Doctor on the east side of 35 north, 2nd stop light take a right, theres a little strip mall on your left, its down towards the end. Look for Mike, he's been chasing elk in Idaho for awhile now and can point ya out to some more info. If ya do make it tell him hi for me being he is my uncle and all. I am definatly gonna drop him a line!!! Check out the Mn thread on the midwest forum..one of the guys in the shop, my ole middle school science teacher is on, he also works in the shop...man I am tellin ya its a small world LOL!

Keep the info coming as I can use all ya have to offer on the elk! I wasnt expecting to draw and was leaning more towards chasin mulies this fall, lots of time to learn elk and I will have some experience partners. I do however like the thought of being independent enough to chase bulls on my own after a week or two. Anything on tips, gear, calls, do's-dont's. Btw I plan on shooting my longbow and the set up is the same as I'd use on moose but heck enlighten men!
Old 03-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Spike

Lilhunter - Yea I know Mike Redmond and his dad. Sure have some nice property in Colo. - money can do a lot for a guy. Very good knowledge and customer service at their stores too.