Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Washington: Baiting deer? >

Washington: Baiting deer?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Washington: Baiting deer?

Old 08-19-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Washington: Baiting deer?

This question was triggered by slee's comment about bears being the only thing we cannot bait in WA. I have most of the regulations memorized but I went looking for information on this subject and have come up empty handed. So, is it legal to bait game other then bear in WA?

Thank you!
Old 08-19-2004, 08:58 PM

Default RE: Washington: Baiting deer?

I'm not sure, but I'd think it's illegal, or at least we found out a couple years back when we were planing on setting up a salt lick. As far as a salt lick goes, you CAN put out a salt block, but you CANNOT hunt over the actual block itself. That's as far as I know about baiting deer?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Typical Buck

I contacted the WDFW about 3 years ago about this when I ran across some old wheat straw in piles around a deer stand over in eastern WA during turkey season. People assume that you can't, but if it isn't specifically stated that you can't do something in the game regs then it isn't illegal. Here is the copy of the e-mail I received back then from the WDFW when I asked about baiting in general, and using a honey burn for bear. I try to hang on to their responses to my questions for CYA reasons. Just don't go around telling everybody because the anti's would have a field day.

"Thank you for contacting the Washington State Department of Fish and
Wildlife, Enforcement Program.

Actually, baiting for deer/elk is perfectly legal in the state of
Washington. WDFW does not have any provisions against baiting deer/elk. However, honey burns are not legal. Any substance that uses a scent/flavor to attracts bears is illegal.

Enforcement Program
11/1/01"
Old 08-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Im studying for my AHE so i have to go over the RCW and WAC codes and the only thing they talk about baiting so far is you cant bait bears or game birds.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:27 AM

Awesome, thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:59 AM

I would have to say that iit is illegal to bait deer. But I too am taking the Ahse course and I couldn't find anything about baiting deer. Best thing to do would be to get ahold of the fish and game dept and ask them to be 100% sure.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Cuttplug, just curious why you would think it IS illegal. Remember that ethics and legality are 2 completely different things, whatever your view of baiting may be. There are several states that allow the use bait to hunt deer. You won't find it in the game regs. I was told by the Enforcement office on numerous occasions that if something is not addressed as illegal in the Big Game Regs, then it isn't. You can bet if they took the time to mention baiting bear, they would have attached deer, elk, or whatever animal with it. Now I would be willing to bet money that if you asked enough people at the WDFW, somebody will tell you that it is.