Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Western Hunting Solo? >

Western Hunting Solo?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Western Hunting Solo?

Old 06-12-2004, 10:07 PM

Default RE: Western Hunting Solo?

I like solo myself for the most part, If your confident in your woodsmanship then I'ts not as dangerous as some may make it out to be, one of the downfalls of solo is no one to share a great experience with. But the freedom it gives you is great, but if you have a hunting partner that you know real well then it can be pretty free in itself.My Dad and I alway hunt together but I can still go off on my own and meet up with at cmap or the truck whenever.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even though i don't really live in 'badlands' of the west. My dad and I used to go hunting together all the time. But now I hunt alone.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:37 PM

WELL IN HUNTING YOU NEED EYES. ONE TIME IT WAS BOUT HALF AND HOUR TILL THE SEASON WAS OVER AND MY BUDDY WHO HAD A MULE DEER TAG SAID OK LETS HEAD HOME. SO WE WERE DRIVING BACK AND THERE WAS A 3X3 BUCK (IT WAS DECENT) TOLD MY BUDDY WHOA! WE AINT GOIN HOME JUST YET MY FREIND! GOT THE BINOCS OUT AND TOLD MY BUDDY WHERE IT WAS AND IT WAS UP ON THE HILLSIDE JUST LOOKIN AT US. I TOLD HIM SOON AS YOU GET SHOT TAKE HIM WELL NOT EVEN 2 SECONDS LATER HE DRILLED IT. WENT HOME WITH SOME MEAT. MIGHT NOT HURT TO HAVE TWO MORE EYES PLUS I ENJOY THE COMPANY TOO.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:05 AM

Solo is the way to go!
You may want to let the local warden know when and were your hunting and that you'll call and let him know when you leave.
Have good survival kit
A good pack for getting your meat out.
Leave a copy of you map at camp showing were your going to hunt each day.
This may seem like over kill But if you need help it's a life saver.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt solo most of the time in high country here in COlorado. I don't do it by choice, I just don't have a real partner; wife goes and hunts when she can but I usually take off more to hunt than she does or can. Last yr I offered to pay a partner, gbot got no responses. I guess it's just the way guys are. If you do it give the Buckskin Network phone number to your wife or family if they need you in emergency. They broadcast daily at 6am, noon, and 6pm I think on all local FM stations in the high country regions. http://www.csp.state.co.us/News/buckskin2002.htm