Western Hunting Solo? >

Western Hunting Solo?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Western Hunting Solo?

Old 06-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Western Hunting Solo?

Does anyone out there hunt solo in the western states?? Just wanted to get an opinion on my situation. I hunted Montana last fall for muleys in Eastern MT with my brother. Had a great time and saved the money to apply again only to have my brother back out. So I put in anyway as I really wanted to get back there again. Well, I got drawn and am planning on going out solo unless I can hook up with a guy I met from Billings. I'm a little leery because of the safety factor but I've never let it stop me before. Any tips from any of you soloists?? We hunted via a reservoir last fall and I may head back that way again even though I won't have a boat. I figure I can still get to some country that holds deer via foot power and also check out some Block Mgmt areas around there.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Western Hunting Solo?

I hunt solo most of the time. Alot of people tell me that it isn't safe but I disagree. Most real hunting accidents are caused from a hunting partner. I do let someone know where I am (or camped out anyway) and when I should return just in case something happens.

I trust my skills in the mountains and about the only thing that I ever think about is falling somehow and breaking my leg and having to crawl 3-4 miles out by myself.

The thing that I like about solo hunting is that I can do what I want. You aren't waiting around for someone else and the day is 100% about hunting for me
Old 06-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have for deer and antelope in a few of the western states. Its the pits when your partner backs out at the last minute and leaves you holding the bag . I had this happen a couple times and then just planned to go it alone after that . Then if someone decided to go along it was a plus and not a loss . Hal
Old 06-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ironranger You will have no trouble finding deer or places to hunt by yourself. You will wish someone else was there to help you drag you deer back to the truck.
If I draw a Late season bull elk tag or kill a elk during archery season? I might be in your neck of the woods looking for a big mule deer buck? Maybe we could hook? I would be happy to help you drag your deer back to your truck. I even have a boat we can use.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:31 PM

Default i hunt idaho muleys solo every year..

i am able to score a muley every year hunting by myself in western idaho..as for safety i would bring a handgun for back up...lots of cougars,wolves and , bears in montana..you might want to photo copy a topo map (if you have one) to give to your family so they know where you will be heading...this may sound funny but i pack a model 35 glock with
hi caps just in case a kitty or a big bad wolf wants to get frisky....last year, right out of boise..while i was hunting i hear some weird barking, it turned out to be a wolf. he stayed his distance but i was prepared.

a 9mm and bigger will kill a mt. lion and a wolf...
Old 06-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Thanx for the information!! I appreciate it. I sent you an email Wolf Killer and appreciate the offer.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:36 PM

I fish and grouse and duck hunt solo. The grouse hunting gets me a little worried sometimes. I worry about getting lost and about bears and cougar. This year I think I'll carry a few slug shells to be safe. I also just bought a GPS unit as another preventative measure with the getting lost issue.

When hunting or fishing solo all I do is think of the family and that stops me in my tracks from taking a chance that in my younger years would not have thought twice about like crossing a deep section of river or pushing on into new territory.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love to hunt solo. It gives me a chance to do what I want. I can hunt at my own pace, no one to catch up with or wait for. If I feel like sitting for two hours, well then thats what I do. It is also more peaceful, seems like I can get in touch with nature when I am alone out there. Cats don't worry me too much. There is plenty of other food for them to eat, and I have a bigger gun
Old 06-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Thanx again for the responses!!

Hey Charlie Brown, I see you live in Elko. I know a few people from my hometown (Babbitt, MN) that moved out to Elko years ago to work. Do you know any from Minnesota??
Old 06-12-2004, 08:04 PM

Game carts are a handy Item when you do a three dayer and score a bigun. Go for it! good luck and think success.

Quick Reply: Western Hunting Solo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.