Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
creepy, wierd, or downright scary things found while hunting >

creepy, wierd, or downright scary things found while hunting

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

creepy, wierd, or downright scary things found while hunting

Old 05-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Creepy stories. In Aug 2011 i was baiting bear on my cousins property, when he found a 65 year old sitting in his car with the door open. He walked up to him asking if he needed help, as he got up close he realized he was dead. The guy was covered with butterflies on his face and upper body. He had dementia and was missing for a week or so. He got stuck, ran out of gas and died of thirst, as it was brutal hot out. He had a shovel and chair outside his car, his shirt was wrapped around the top of his head. A guy that was up at his camp/cabin saw him a few days earlier trespassing, he went to talk to him, but he drove off swearing. Poor guy just lost it, he lived a fair distance away.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those are some stories you guys have! I found an old plane crash site in northern Maine once. In Colorado I have found numerous old mines and some old trapper cabins. They were more cool than creepy.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Many years ago I was deer hunting in a wooded area in northern Vermont. All of a sudden I could smell a very strong and pungent odor so I followed the wind and came to an area that was cleared out and it was obvious that people had spent time there. The view was terrific and would have made a great spot for a stand since it overlooked a nice valley in the woods. On a cut stump was an incense burner and it was still going. Next to it I could see a memorial picture in a frame showing a young woman. Apparently that place was special and served as a remembrance for whoever left the picture and incense. I respectfully backed out of there and hunted a few miles away. I often wondered how long that site stayed the same.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess mine was on a bear hunt in Idaho a few years back. Sort of like Oldtimr's post you got dropped off in the afternoon and picked up at dark. Just before dark I had a bear coming into the bait site. I caught a glimpse of it and it was a big one and smart too. He made a big circle around the site and must have caught my scent. He started popping his teeth (If no one ever heard that it sounds like two fist sized creek pebbles knocking together). At one point he was directly behind me in the dark timber and I could not see him. He was PO'd and as he kept circling I heard him smack a tree and it must have been a dead fall because I heard it falling. He never came in and I presume he left or was waiting for me to leave. Then when it was totally dark I walked out to the road about 1/4 mile from the site. Unknown to me the guide that was supposed to pick me up couldn't get the truck started to come get me and had to wait until the other guides came back in their vehicles. Meanwhile, and it had to be this particular night, I heard some wolves howling not to far away and a bit later I could hear them walking and their low growling. Not loud growls but more like they were annoyed. Both these episodes on the same night - talk about the hairs on your neck rising. I was finally glad to see the truck's headlights around 10:00 that night.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was hunting an area w/a friend. Me on one side, him on the other about 200 yards away.
We were also separated by a marsh area about 20 yds. wide. I was hunting the slopey side of the marsh bank. About 11:00 a.m., I hear a strange noise which started growing w/intensity. Leaves rustling, then limbs crashing. Louder and louder. What in the world is that? That could only be a tree falling. I had my Walkers Game Ear on and it sounded so close. Am I in the way? Then, one loud, drawn out thud w/a short vibration through the ground. The whole episode lasted roughly 15 seconds or so. The tree fell on my friends side, not far from the back of him. He turned around and saw it falling. Scared the blankety blank out of him. I would imagine so. It was intense to me as well but he experienced it close-up. Amazing the commotion a large tree creates when it tumbles taking other trees w/it.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 09-15-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:06 AM
Spike

On a deer stand in Mississippi.... fell asleep in the stand awoke to the entire stand shaking and I just held on tight. Felt like and sounded like a freight train was coming by right on top... few seconds later I get extremely dizzy then lights zoomed overhead but no sound now just the shaking. Few seconds went by and the sound came back fading into the distance and the shaking stopped. Weird man Weird...
Old 09-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I thought of another one. I was fishing for trout and had gone quite a ways down stream. Towards evening I took stock of the situation and decided it would be easier to climb out and up the high bank and make my way to the two track which would lead me back to my truck. (Felt soles on a grassy hill) As I was climbing up I noticed a older wooden deer blind. So, I figured I would cut over and check it out for future reference. As I got closer I saw two turkey vultures take off out of the blind. This gave me the shivers and I went to look. Nothing there, and I've never known vultures to roost like that but that seems to be what they were doing.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got another one. I once found an old cemetery in the middle of the woods on private property. There was no signs, fence, or paths anywhere near this site. It was just two dozen tombstones in the middle of a dense forest with fallen foilage everywhere. Not a place to find something like this.

The spot was so inconspicuous that I walked by it several times. I did not find it until I walked in the middle of the tombstones and was very surprised and a little freaked out. The dates on the tombstones dated from the early 1800's. They were barely readable and covered in moss. I never went near that spot after that.

Nobody who lived in the area knew about this cemetery but the county building and zoning office had a cemetery map which did indeed show it.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was elk hunting in southern Colorado and was hiking into my spot before day break. I glanced up at the sky and there was a fireball above me that looked like the size of a basketball. I watched it as it sailed over the horizon. Figured it must be a meteor. Later that morning I killed a mature bull elk. I think it was a sign from the elk Gods!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 PM
Spike

My parents bought a piece of land by the Olympic National Forest in Washington. I was riding quads with my brother one day and we came across an old saw mill back in the woods. There was an old model T and a Model A parked outside of it. They were barely recognizable cause they were all rusted out. The coolest thing about it was that there was an axe in a tree and the tree just grew around it. That's not really creepy I guess but still a cool find.