Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Wanting Info on Nonresident deer combo hunt for 2011 >

Wanting Info on Nonresident deer combo hunt for 2011

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Wanting Info on Nonresident deer combo hunt for 2011

Old 12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Default Wanting Info on Nonresident deer combo hunt for 2011

I have spent my life hunting whitetail in GA. Next year I will be venturing out of state with hopes of great scenery and the small chance of seeing/hunting some big whitetail/mulleys. Myself and some guys from the fire department where we work are trying to plan a trip to montana and hope to draw a deer combo tag. I have some questions I hope someone can make clear to me. I know we have to put in for the draw for the combo tag, but along with that do we have to put in to draw certain units? I am alittle confused on how that works. I called Montana Fish and Game, but the lady I talked to seemed to be mad at the world and didnt want to help me out. I am totally new at all this drawing tags stuff so any and all info will help. Also, if we do have to put in to draw certain units, what units will have the greatest opportunity of us drawing? I read in Field and Stream about hunting the Northern area of MT, around Fort Peck and the upper Missouri River(700, I think), just curious as to how all the draws work and realistic chances in drawing. Also, with the BMA's, if its a Type II where do you go to get permission. As said earlier, brand new at all this and trying to get all info to be able to plan the best possible trip of hunting/camping without a guide.
tylerstem is offline  
Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southeastern Montana
Posts: 27

You can go to the FWP site at http://fwp.mt.gov to gain some info, or call the regional office in Miles City if you want info about the area 700 licenses. It will be a bit confusing I'm sure. If they still offer the party application, that might increase your chances. If one in the party draws a tag, all draw a tag.
Whizbang is offline  
Old 12-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3

that is where i have been looking. im just unclear about: if i wanted to hunt in unit 700. If i put in for the draw and draw a combo deer tag, do I also have to put in for the certain unit? How does all that work? Or, when you put in for the combo tag, will I have to draw the combo tag for a specific unit? If anyone knows anything please enlighten me
tylerstem is offline  
Old 12-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical
salukipv1's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 6,575

have fun with that tag just going up from $628 to $897

I'd possibly focus on one animal, and if you can get a tag for something else, maybe have that as an option.
salukipv1 is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 180

HD 700 has only special elk permits available. To get that permit you must first draw the general elk/deer (or elk only) combo and then apply for the special permit in the second drawing.

If you go this route and fail to draw the special permit you'll need to find an HD (701, for example) with a general elk season and hunt there.
RaghornHS is offline  
Old 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn
bchunts's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 261

Tyler, you do not have to apply for a specfic unit for the combo tag. The price did go up to $912 for non-residents. The best time for combo would be first week before the mule deer as weather after that can have the deer migrating out. They changed the draw system this year and took away outfitters guarented tags and put them back into the draw, looks like you will have very good odds of drawing. If you change your mind about a guide let me know, I might be able to help.
bchunts is offline  
Old 02-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Montana Man's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 47
Default Out of state hunting 2011 Montana

If you are interested we can sponsor you and your friends. It's not a guaranteed tag and like everyone replied elk are mostly drawing so getting tags in the 700's will be tough to get and with the outfitters gone it might be easier to just try the general drawing. We are around 10,000 acres of private property. We had 8 bucks taken off of us last year with some very good antlers. I have some posted on my homepage here. We have some rustic accomodations or you can bring a camper and plug it in for no charge. Our rates are cheaper than outfitters. We can show you around the place and then let you go and hunt so you don't have us following you around all the time and you can enjoy the hunt with your friends. If this interests you feel free to call 406-972-4568 and we can answer your questions and see if this is something you would like to do.
Montana Man is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.