South West Drawing Odds Question

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

South West Drawing Odds Question

Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Spike

Default South West Drawing Odds Question

Hey guys,

For the residents out there of the southwestern states like NV, AZ and NM, what are the odds like on getting a tag for big game or even for turkey in those states? On the east coast nearly everything is over the counter except for an extra doe tag, so the idea of getting skunked on a tag just seems like the biggest kick in the groin to me. How do you go from being pumped up to maybe draw an elk, mule deer or antelope tag and then resign yourself to upland birds and waterfowl?

I'm especially interested since the girlfriend and I are thinking about relocating to the area as we get closer to marriage and all that.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Spike

IN AZ, you have a next to 0 chance to draw a big game tag except when there a left overs. AZ is on a bonus point system so, it could take 1 year (as a resident) to 20, depending on the species and unit you apply for.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you lived in CO or UT, you would be surrounded by 4 or more great states to also hunt...

Even living in AZ etc...you could travel not very far and hunt other states, for very high quality animals.

Also most states especially for residents have 2nd options, so when you don't draw the great tag, you still can draw a leftover or 2nd choice, etc...

Personally I'd rather hunt 5 different states in 5 years for trophy elk, than to hunt my home state every year for ok/dinks sized elk.

Seems like most states are going to a combo for quality and quantity, just depends on where you hunt, best of both worlds I guess?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Spike

What about private land? Say when I move down there I decide to purchase a place with a few hundred acres, am I guaranteed a private land tag? I can't believe some of the deals on land you can get on a house and land out that way.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

You need to be real careful and understand the game is changing since I got in it 15 years ago. Many states have really boxed themselves in a corner cheapening the points they sold years ago, like to me. I have 254 bonus/preference points over about about 10 states. The majority of them have been significantly watered down over the years by various means.......whatever the states can think to make more money at the point holders expense: Lower NR quotas; shifting to outfitter welfare tags; shifting to raffle tags; shifting to auction tags; changing to selling multiple points per applicant; forcing you to buy an unwanted license to preserve your points, etc, etc, etc. Some places have cheapened them so much the hunters quit applying and just lost their points, like Oregon & Wyoming sheep & moose. It's a sad testament to greed and cheating people.

Study each state's point system but understand you could pay a lot of money up front to buy points only to have the state devalue them later. You can't really make a plan any more because you don't know who will screw you next.

As of today (could change tomorrow) Idaho & New Mexico are best places for a chance to draw this year because they don't have points. If you want to buy some points which still have value, Colorado is best and they tend to treat NR's very well. After that Wyoming but they have proven they aren't afraid to screw you later. Then Nevada & Arizona best for trophy hunts but will take a long time with high up front fees. But you should be aware you will have zero chance of drawing in most AZ units for at least a few years due to their system which it will take you one year just to figure out, partially.

Forget about Oregon, Utah, Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont. I don't care if you're 15 years old and have lots of time to wait, you will still die of old age before you draw anything decent in these states.............and be out a lot of coin.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

I drew tags every year I lived in Nevada and also the first time I applied there as a NR. New Mexico can be a tough draw, as is Arizona. That said, there are still options in those states if you don't draw.