montana hunt lease

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

montana hunt lease

Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: montana hunt lease

ORIGINAL: RaghornHS

Lighten up, guys...my lord...the dude is curious about a lease...he didn't ask for your personal feelings on the matter...give him a break.

Far too many people on this board that take an emotional, knee-jerk approach to things...it's sad, really
So we're not allowed to have an opinionabout an awful andfar too widespreadpractice Raghorn? Leasing hunting lands is a disease and I'm going to speak out against it plain and simple. There's plenty of other options that don't involve buying others out of their legitimate opportunity to hunt.

AK Jeff
Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Look, Jeff, I understand leases are a hot-button issue. I live in the west and hunt in the west. I get it.

In fact, I've seen it first hand back home. My family and I have (had) hunted the same 900 acres back in Wisconsin since my dad was a boy. We lost that ability in 2003 when the landowner leased all 900 to some NR guys.

I hunt public land and prefer to do so. For those of you who wish to hunt private land (or at least have access to it), you might consider that the "disease"resides with the the landowners who agree to sell hunting rights, not with those who wish to buy them.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Spike

I think some of the anti-leasers are part of the problem. So you used to be able to hunt on Joe's land when you were a kid, and now you think you own it! Joe may need to make a few $$ and let someone else hunt it. Don't be mad at Joe!! He does not own the property so you can have a place to hunt. Ever hear of property owner's rights? If I owned some land and someone who I let hunt for years for free was bitching because I leased my land, I would never let him back on my property. I would rather let the deer die of old age, then let him back on my land!!

If it was not for the out of state hunters who pay about 85% of the block management cost, you would have a lot less land to hunt.

Just my $0.02.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not crying because I lost some favorite hunting spot to leasing. On the contrary I have plenty of places that I have access to hunt in Montana, both public and private. I don't think non-residents are the problem either. If you noticed my location you'd see that I'm a non-resident of Montana, even though I was born and raised there.

The real problem I see with leasing is that it forces out the next generation of hunters and that's who we need to perpetuate our sport. Just look at the generational decline in hunters over the years and it is quite discouraging, and that's largely due to young people not being able to afford to hunt. If young hunters can't afford to hunt they're going to take to other past times and they won't necessarilly care about the future of hunting they way that myself and my predecessors did.

My family for instance owns some prime access to the lower Yellowstone River. They could lock it off for their own private hunting reserve or they could lease it out and make ita pay to play situation, but they don't. They allow anyone to huntthere provided they call ahead, close the gates, don't drive on the roads when they're muddy, and they pick up their empties. You wouldn't believe how greatful people are for that opportunity. My family isn't overly wealthy, we just understand that the opportunity for young people to hunt like we did does us all more good in the long run than any money generated from exlcusive access would. If you think differently more power to you...just don't ask me for any help.

AK Jeff
Old 02-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muley699: I would bet money you don't own any hunting land, work on a ranch or have any real idea what it takes to make one stay profitable today. I hear your point of view, but in many instances lease money is the ONLY thing standing between keeping it a hunting ranch and selling it to developers. THIS AIN'T YOUR GRANDAD'S WORLD. Making a ranch pay for itself today is a tough. So you can be like an ostrich and stick your head in the sand, or figure out ways to make the real world work for you.

I have a ranch that has been in my family for over 100 years in Texas. I could sell it tomorrow and make a fortune to a guy who would turn it into 25-50 acre "ranchetes". That is what would be criminal in my book. We do lease some spots on the ranch to help make it at least pay for itself. We also take relatives, personal friends, and swap friends (from Colorado, Montana, and Alaska). Every year we take at least 2-4 kids that have never killed a deer before.

You want to hunt some private land, YOU network, YOU develop relationships, YOU figure out what you have that a landowner might want to swap for. I don't even live there and I have hunted there twice (took two elk) on some private and public land through relationships I worked for over time.

And if you are really that anti-personal property rights, please send me the address of your house, so that I may set up a tent in your backyard the next time I visit your great state.

If there is anyone typical in this conversation, it is you.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

One of the beautiful things about America is having the Constitutional Right to own private property. As such, the landowner has the right to lease or not leasehunting rights to their landas they see fit. Ranchers and farmers may have "wealth" from the value of their land, but the one's I know do not make a whole lot of"income" doing what they love. If they need to lease land to make ends meet, make themortgagepayment, or send a kid to college,then they have every right to do so, and if they do, then good for them.

I can't tell you howmany times haveI talked tosomeone against leasing, or against the commercialization of hunting, while they are wearing a Mossy Oak shirt, some of Bill Jordan's Realtree camo, or have a truck full of "brand stickers" such as the Browning Buckmark, Matthew's Solocam, or a Cabelas or Bass Pro logo! When was the last time any of you anti-lease guys watched a TV hunting show? Jackie Bushman, Will Primos, Knight and Hale, Al Linder, The "Duck Commander" for goodness sakes? Those guys don't do that for free, and they are making A LOT more than the rancher leasing his land, all while you pay for those stickers to advertise for them to fatten their pockets -- and good for them -- they are living the American Dream too.

I hunt private land by helping the farmer every summer bail hay and doing some chores, and do not paythem adime. I guess that I quite simply made a friend, and show may appreciation by helping out and being part of the clan. But I am a Guest on THEIR LAND, and if they evermake the decision to lease the land instead, then that's their choice, and I must respect that.

I hope you find your lease, Gunny97, and have a good time hunting with your friends and family.