Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
New rifle/caliber suggestions for So Calif area >

New rifle/caliber suggestions for So Calif area

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New rifle/caliber suggestions for So Calif area

Old 01-21-2002, 10:10 PM

Default New rifle/caliber suggestions for So Calif area

After spending way to many years of my life in the retail business and finally getting out of it, I can now finally get out and experience hunting and the outdoors.Ive enjoyed Guns for over 20 years and have a few including a good used Bow that Im learning to use and having a blast shooting it,I can't wait to go hunting with it. But I also am looking to buy a new rifle and Im leaning towards the 7mm or 30 cal since I do reload and there's alot of bullet choices in these two calibers. Im not looking for a "full throttle nitrous super mag" Since I want to be able to raise a fork to my mouth after a day at the bench. I have a Ruger 243 and it shoots great but is too light for Elk and big Mulies,if I get the chance to go after them.Im pretty sure I know what you all will say about the 30-06 and it's a consideration, but how about the 308, 280,7 Mag or the new WSM's? If you all had about $700-$800.00 to spend on a new rifle what rifle and cal would you suggest?
I live in SO Calif and it's pretty open in most areas that we hunt in,and I'll be keeping my shots to about 300 yrds or less. I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions Thanks J.M
Old 01-21-2002, 10:26 PM

Default RE: New rifle/caliber suggestions for So Calif area

I'd go with the 7mm mag, it's the second best next to the .300 from your list... and since mullies in Ca don't get as big as mullies in other states, it'd be perfect. You've got elk in so cali?? where? I asume it's a very special draw?
Old 01-21-2002, 11:01 PM
usa
Fork Horn

hey, guns to bows, welcome to the woods. I know just how you feel after 26 years in retail, theres plenty of hunting in ca. but for those elk I'm sure you're thinking out of state. I really like my .338 but I find that even on big mulies unless I break both shoulders it just makes a .33 cal hole in one side and out the other, where I hunt there are grizzlys so I prefer a big cartridge, for ca. I use my 30.06 or in heavy timber my .444 good hunting usahunter
Old 01-22-2002, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guns Welcome to the board .I used to live in the LA area. If you are thinking of hunting elk I would consider a 300 mag ,It can be loaded for deer or elk being you reload .
Old 01-23-2002, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Well, not much experience, but I used the 308 for deer and elk. Not a problem.

Elk in southern CA? Not sure, but I there are elks up north near OR border. I believe you have to draw for elk in CA and the price tag is quite expensive. I think you'd be better off going out of state for elk.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:47 AM
Spike

A 280 Rem is an excellent choice especially if you reload. The recoil is less but ballistics are not that far behind a 7 mag. Loaded with lighter 140gr bullets it has the flat trajectory and high shock identical to a .270 Win. With heavier bullets such as 165-175gr it has the impact and penetration almost identical to a 30-06. A Browning A-bolt or Rem 700 in this caliber would suit your needs very well.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:46 PM

Thanks everyone for the feed back. Well it looks like Im leaning towards the 7mm cal and I like the short action 7mm WSM that one looks like it has a good chance to catch on but we'll see. Im reading that it burns more efficently in the short fat case and it's velocity is right there with the bigger 7 mag. Well we'll see after they start reloading it and see if they get the speeds the factories say it'll get, but to me it looks like I couldn't go wrong with it although I'll probably go with the bigger 7 or 280 since I'll have no problem getting brass for them. As to Elk in So CAL, I don't think there is any around here. I have a cousin who lives in AZ and likes to hunt the Kaibab and he's seen them there.He's been trying to get me out there for years but I was never able to get the time off during that time of year(Retail)Were trying to go bow hunting for some pigs now but SO Cal is not a haven for them either. ( Too many people here)I envy those of you who are close to good hunting areas.
The VP of our company has us out to Texas once a year for meetings and he wants to take me deer hunting on his lease this October so Im looking forward to that.
Well thanks again for your input and good hunting to you all.
JM
Old 01-24-2002, 08:39 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Elk in southern CA? Not sure, but I there are elks up north near OR border. I believe you have to draw for elk in CA and the price tag is quite expensive. I think you'd be better off going out of state for elk. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

very very few elk in ca, they are trying to introduce some elk in northern cali up near where I hunt, but I've never seen one although I think I heard one bugle once. Pretty cool. I put in for elk every year in ca, their on an island, I think it's called grizzly island or something. It's up in the delta. Anyway, they give like 10 tags a year so uh things dont look to good.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:57 PM

Hey, JM. I'm in Westminster, too... Midway City to be exact but no one has ever heard of it

If you're still shooting bows drop me a line and I'll meet you over at Mile Square Park. I shoot trad stuff and go over there all the time.

As for rifles... I've been pretty pleased with my .25-06.

Take care, Guy