HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New rifle/caliber suggestions for So Calif area
Old 01-21-2002, 10:10 PM
Guns To Bows 2002

Default New rifle/caliber suggestions for So Calif area

After spending way to many years of my life in the retail business and finally getting out of it, I can now finally get out and experience hunting and the outdoors.Ive enjoyed Guns for over 20 years and have a few including a good used Bow that Im learning to use and having a blast shooting it,I can't wait to go hunting with it. But I also am looking to buy a new rifle and Im leaning towards the 7mm or 30 cal since I do reload and there's alot of bullet choices in these two calibers. Im not looking for a "full throttle nitrous super mag" Since I want to be able to raise a fork to my mouth after a day at the bench. I have a Ruger 243 and it shoots great but is too light for Elk and big Mulies,if I get the chance to go after them.Im pretty sure I know what you all will say about the 30-06 and it's a consideration, but how about the 308, 280,7 Mag or the new WSM's? If you all had about $700-$800.00 to spend on a new rifle what rifle and cal would you suggest?
I live in SO Calif and it's pretty open in most areas that we hunt in,and I'll be keeping my shots to about 300 yrds or less. I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions Thanks J.M