Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Shipping the kill >

Shipping the kill

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Shipping the kill

Old 09-11-2008, 09:18 AM

Default Shipping the kill

We have got a hunting trip planed in Utah/Idaho area. We will be flying. Could anyone advise me the best way to get the meat shipped from Utah back to Texas?
Thanks for any help given.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shipping the kill

In the true spirit of optimizism ...lol.

You need to consider that even the biggest mule deer buck in Utah may yield 120 lbs. of boneless meat ...typically 90-100 lbs. And 'does' go more like 60-85. Then you have the weight of the packaging and actual cost of shipping depending on how quickly you want to get from point a to point b.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

well, IMO, cheapest way is to bring an ice chest with you and pay the extra shipping to bring it back to TX.....next cheapest is to have someone in ID freeze it and overnight ship it to your house (make sure you are home to get package as soon as it is delivered and it should be fine.....i did it this way with a KS whitetail coming to CA)........3rd way take it to a butcher and have it cut up and shipped to you.......these are the 3 ways i know of and they are listed cheapest to most expensive.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Most airlines won't allow you to transport meat if it isn't froze solid. So that is the first step you need to do. Then pack it to the maximum weight you can check. This will cost much less than other options. Check it as extra baggage. If it is froze solid you should have no problem getting it from Utah to Texas. We do it all the time. Other options will include shipping it next day and that will cost you. We hunt all over the country and never had a problem with frozen meat. Once you land get it on ice and you are good to go.

Goatslayer........
Old 09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

We;re going out early Oct and shipping UPS 3 coolers out in boxes, with our clothes, etc. Hopefully we will have some meat to freeze and bring back on the plane w us. We are also shipping back our clothes in the boxes the coolers went out in. thats the plan anyway-- you know how that goes. good luck, havnt quite decided on any trophies-- will likely ship back UPS, rather than tangle with the airlines and some of the people they have handling luggage...
Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GoatSlayer

Most airlines won't allow you to transport meat if it isn't froze solid. So that is the first step you need to do. Then pack it to the maximum weight you can check. This will cost much less than other options. Check it as extra baggage. If it is froze solid you should have no problem getting it from Utah to Texas. We do it all the time. Other options will include shipping it next day and that will cost you. We hunt all over the country and never had a problem with frozen meat. Once you land get it on ice and you are good to go.

Goatslayer........
you would surely want to have your meat frozen or have dry ice in the ice chest.....but, when i was looking at airlines, i don't recall anything saying the meat had to be frozen. just that the meat could not leak, had to be doubled sealed, and have stirofoam in the ice chest.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Spike

Just a quick question. Where do you buy dry ice from? Never done it my self and I am guessing that the regualr grocery store does not have it.