Alaska Thread

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaska Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Alaska Thread

Pat,

The road was awful, but the hunt was great. It took us five anda half hours to get to 83 mile of the Taylor. There were four of us that went up and we had three tags. I was just along for the ride because I shot a bull earlier in the year with ArcticBowMan. We got three cows right around the 90 mile mark Saturday morning and my fiance scored her first big game animal. She made a great 200 yard, one-shot kill on a young cow. I couldn't have been prouder.

On a sidenote, congratulations to ArcticBowMan on the birth of his second daughter Hunter Jade just the other day. If she grows up to be half as deadly as her Dad the animals of AK had better beware.

Here's a picture of the 'bou Kourtney tagged.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

Old 01-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Spike

I just wanted to say hi and wish everybody a really good 2006 hunting season 2005 was not to bad...
I hope to do better this season from Cordova Alaska were its always wet

Old 01-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey all, it's been a while since I've logged on. Hopefully you all had a good season! Nimrod, did I read somewhere that you finally killed whitey? If so, congrats! I know it was a long time coming. Thanks for the ride in your boat this fall, even though you made Tom and I push!

Jeff, good to see you on these boards. Thanks for posting about Hunter. For those of you who don't know, she was born on December 16th. We are back down in Vegas now for four months, then move back home for good in May. Not soon enough.

I filled my winter caribou tag on the 29th of December as well. I went out to work the trap line during the afternoon so I could use the twilight, and came accross two bulls. I put a 40 yard shot on one of them, and he went 60 yards and piled up.

Sheep drawing permits should be out this week, hopefully we'll do some good this year.

huntnfish, good luck to you this season! I'll be limited to what I can hunt this year since we are building a house, but in 2007 I plan to hit it hard again.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello Alaska residents & hunters. I have posted a question in the Big Game form,I would like you guys to read & reply to.
I wanting toarchery huntCaribou.
My plan would be: fly into Fairbanks, rent a truck& drive north on the "haul road". I would be looking for caribou along the way. I would bring my camp gear (tent, sleeping bag, food & water) with me. I would like to spot caribou from the haul road & then go after them with my bow.
I would not be shooting from the road!
I would just use the road to cover as much ground as I need to spot a huntableherd. After I spot a herd my plan would be to grab my back pack &bow & go after them. I would camp along the way.
Could a person do a hunt like this? Would Ihave good odds of seeing huntable caribou? What GMU's should I apply for?

Thanks,

Wolf Killer
Old 01-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

WK,

I just replied to your post in the BG Forum, but I hadn't seen this yet. Yeah, you're on the right track, but you'll be far from alone if you're looking for a remote AK bowhunt. A whole lot of people do what you're planning so be prepared for competition. A lot of people kill caribou that way though so it's not a bad idea by any means. The area you'd be hunting is Unit 26B and you don't have to apply for anything. It's all over the counter and you can get two tags, but it's a round-about way to get two bulls so understand the regs before you buy two tags. Narrow down your timeframe if you want some betteranswers too. Caribou season up there is 9 1/2 months long so if you're looking at early July or late September there's some substantial differences.

Jerry,

If we draw sheep tags I'm just going to have to quit my job!!! August is going to be "interesting" this year, but I can't wait. Let's get some floats lined up the split second your butt gets back up here.

Later,

AK Jeff
Old 01-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I'm definately game for a float here and there, especially in the Shane zone. I checked the permits today, nothing for the sheep draw yet. This year should be interesting to say the least, adding a sheep hunt in will only make it more so.

Are your people's planning on coming back up this year for the bou hunt? I'm ready to put my ship back to sea, but kinda glad I'm down in America right now seeing how the weather is back home. Betcha wish you had that garage done now. [8D]

Robert, I sent you an e-mail.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah buddy!!!! Shane seems to think that the bears won't be around until the fall, but I want to try it in the spring anyway. What's the worst that could happen; we score in the spring and the fall!!! Unit 13 needsfewer brownies anyway. It'll be our moose enhancement program.

Kevin and Roy were planning on coming up provided there'sroom. That's totally your call buddy. I'm not going to crowd your camp. If there is room we're going to work something out where I buy the gas and food...no arguments!!! You'll get a kick out of Roy. He's got to be the wildest 91 year old on Earth. He fell offhis backhoe last week...no big deal. Anyway, we'll figure it all out. And yes, I wish I was in Vegas today. -36 this morning and the forecast is for more of the same. Kourtney washed her hands after lunch and then walked outside. Her hand stuck to the door handle when she grabbed it. At least spring will be here in six or seven months.

Later,

Jeff
Old 01-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

DRAWING RESULTS ARE OUT FOR NR FOR BEAR
http://hunt.alaska.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=inet_lookup.lookup_main
Old 01-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

It better warm up by April, that's when we plan to break ground. I'd enjoy having those guys along again this year. There always seems to be room, especially when we tapered days of hunting from camp, and running the predator. I'd like to get Kevin on a nice bull to put the pressure on him to return the favor. I think in '07 I might take him up on the offer.

We've got to load the boat up better this year!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

I'll tell thosetwo to pack their bags. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over getting Kevin a 'bou. He had an awesome time last year, and coming from him that's really saying something. Ifhe says something is ok, that really means it was pretty great. If he says something is great, that means it was one of the best things he's ever done. He underplays everything and he'ssaid several times that he had a great time. My dad too for that matter.Kevin willgladly take you hunting in MT, whether he gets anything in AK or not. If you make it down for the wedding in June we'll have to do some summer shooting. Lots of coyotes and badgers at the ranch. No license required, and no limit!!!

Take 'er easy,

Jeff

Quick Reply: Alaska Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.