Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 any CA turkey hunters out there? >

any CA turkey hunters out there?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

any CA turkey hunters out there?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 PM

Default RE: any CA turkey hunters out there?

Congratulations, you guys did much better than I did at Feather River. I plan on trying Spenceville this weekend.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you very much,

spenceville is a decent spot, but does get hit really hard....try and buy some of the blm maps from there web site or go into their office, they have one in folsom, and get a map of El dorado, mendicino, placer, etc and scout out those areas of NF and BLM....it may take some time, but u will find yourself a good spot.

ps: there are birds at the feather river!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:39 AM

JNTURK, Thanks for the advice. Although I am only 56 I suffered a stroke 3 years ago and am not as nimble in the woods as I used to be so I stick to the most accessable wildlife areas. Since there are birds in Feather River, I will try there again this weekend rather than drive all the way to Spenceville from Elk Grove. I am a doctor so it is impossible for me to get away on weekdays which would be best at a place like Spenceville that attracts a lot of hunters. Last Sunday I only saw two other hunters at Feather River but unfortunately no turkeys, though I think Imay have heard a gobble.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

no problem, i fully understand..... well i hope you saw some this weekend or even got one....there are some NF and BLM land within about the same distance as the feather river...

at the feather river try to get out early and listen for the gobbles early in the morning...when i saw the large flock this past late fall there were many hens, so they will probably be hened up....but try locator calls or his the yelps and cuts hard to try to get a gobble out of that....they sometimes frequent star bend side or the side on the opposite river were the boat ramp is at.

good luck.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:45 AM

JNTURK, I willtry the areas you suggested atFeather Riverduring the last weekend of the season.

Iwent toFeather River again last Sunday and got there before dawn and by sunrise had my set-up in place, was well concealed and making hen calls. Not long after, a group of three other hunters came along andstarted making gobbling calls at my decoys, trying to get them to respond. I took off my glove and waved my hand from my place of concealment (I figured a person's hand is uniquely human looking and I would not be mistaken for a turkey) to get their attention. They were apologetic and went on their way. Not long after another hunter with two dogs (I did not know dogs were legal, or even useful, for turkey hunting) came alongand the dogs went straight for my decoy and did not realize it wasnot a real turkey until theyactually sniffed it. This hunter was also apologetic and went on his way with his dogs. Then the first three hunters who apparently did not know the area wellwondered back through my set-up trying to get to the other side of a slough. About three hours had gone by and with all the excitement I figured it was pretty unlikely that I would get a turkey that day and decided to go home.

Even though I did not get any turkeys I did take comfort in the fact that my setup and concealmentwas able to foolfour men and two of man's best friends.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

well sorry to hear about the number of people you had mess up your set up.......really hit the star bend or go to the other side of the river by the boat ramp......from there walk south... a long ways if you can...get way down the river and then cut into the woods and hunt in there (if possible go down about 1-2 miles)....you will see many fewer hunters and this is where the turks are....we used bikes on the levee and road them down to hunt....

in my experience the best way to hunt turkeys is to first find them...then set up....if possible...keep moving and calling (no gobble calls) but loud crow calls, duck, owl, or even cuts from a hen call to get a gobbler to gobble...then work him and get set up....

good luck and i hope you run into fewer hunters this time.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:11 PM

JNTURK, I am going to take my namesake, SP-10, loaded with 2 1/4 oz. of#4 shot back to Feather River this Sunday, the last day of the season,and try once again to bag a gobbler. I will get there before sunrise andtry some of the spots you suggested and this time hope the only thingwandering through my set-up are tom turkeys.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

good luck SP......i still think your best bet will be the other side of star bend and walk south on the levee and listen for gobbles...........good luck
Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lskare

In Sebastopol myself - new to hunting in general - probably going out scouting this weekend in the cache creek area or mendocino....don't know much about the area around here...
well your not faar from me at all, i am in Windsor, well tell me how Cache creek went for you!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 AM

JNTURK
Last Sunday I tried the area South of Star Bend. Previously I had been hunting the Nelson Slough area. I did hear some gobbles and got a glimpse of a turkey but did not have a shot. I figure by the last day of the season the birds that are still alive are very wary. It looks like good turkey country there and there were no other hunters. Next year it is where I will be going on opening day, thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: any CA turkey hunters out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.