HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - any CA turkey hunters out there?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 09:45 AM
SP10

Default RE: any CA turkey hunters out there?

JNTURK, I willtry the areas you suggested atFeather Riverduring the last weekend of the season.

Iwent toFeather River again last Sunday and got there before dawn and by sunrise had my set-up in place, was well concealed and making hen calls. Not long after, a group of three other hunters came along andstarted making gobbling calls at my decoys, trying to get them to respond. I took off my glove and waved my hand from my place of concealment (I figured a person's hand is uniquely human looking and I would not be mistaken for a turkey) to get their attention. They were apologetic and went on their way. Not long after another hunter with two dogs (I did not know dogs were legal, or even useful, for turkey hunting) came alongand the dogs went straight for my decoy and did not realize it wasnot a real turkey until theyactually sniffed it. This hunter was also apologetic and went on his way with his dogs. Then the first three hunters who apparently did not know the area wellwondered back through my set-up trying to get to the other side of a slough. About three hours had gone by and with all the excitement I figured it was pretty unlikely that I would get a turkey that day and decided to go home.

Even though I did not get any turkeys I did take comfort in the fact that my setup and concealmentwas able to foolfour men and two of man's best friends.