WY weather Region R? >

WY weather Region R?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

WY weather Region R?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WY weather Region R?

Just wanted to add that i can't believe that the wolves haven't made it to the Big Horns yet! Or have they?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 PM

They keep trying[8D]

WYOWIRES
Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 PM

I have one question about the deer being higher up in the mountains. Do they come down to winterin bigger or smaller groups? Also when does the rut start or when do they start the chase phase? Why can'tyou go up and get them or at least try to get farther up and head some of them offon the transition down to the foot hills?
It takes alot of snow to move the deer, hunting pressure will move them more than the weather. While flying,I have seen deer above 9,000 feet, belly deep in snow, in December. When they move, it can be quite a site in some areas, you will see long trails in the snow, if you glass the track down, you can some times find the deer. The area you are hunting is huge, and as of today it got dumped on with snow, we had almost an inch of rain in this part of the basin, more rainthan we have had 4 months combined, and still raining.If your tag says any deer, that is what it means, any deer, doe, fawn, buck, muley or Wt. G&F would prefer you shoot a whitetail. There are starting to be a few WT way up on the Big Horns, I have seen them in the summer as high as Meadowlark lake.

THe best method I have used on MD is, patience, and use your glass. Glass until you think your eyeballs are going to bug out! Then glass some more. Any time of day, mid day, a buck will get up and move a few feet and stretch, then lay right back down. I have glassed and trailed the same buck all day, sun up to almost dark before I got a shot. That buck would lay down most of the day in the sage brush, up in a long canyon, he would lay his head flatlike a dog, on the ground. If I hadn't been following him I would never known he was there.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: NJheadhunter71

Just wanted to add that i can't believe that the wolves haven't made it to the Big Horns yet! Or have they?
Game and Fish confirmed three wolves near tensleep three years ago. My son cut the tracks several times while running cats. The local game warden in tensleep investigated and confirmed it. So now it is anyones guess how many are there. Maybe none! We can only hope!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:55 PM

Got more Snow last nite and maybe some today. Been raining here in Greybull so I went to Billings to shop. Snow was in Bridger but mostly gone when I went through at noon. Is supposed to start clearing up tomorrow for a few days.
GOOD LUCK
WYOWIRES
Old 10-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Let it snow! The opener is a week away and I can hardly wait.

RandyA thanks for the weather report. I really appreciate the local first hand report. I agree about how much snow it takes to get the deer down, but I have noticed in the south end of Region Rin years when there has been at least one good storm up highthere will be a lot more deer between 7,000 to 9,000 ft. than if there has been little or no snow. How does the antler growth look this year? Based on what I could get over the internet it looked like there has been more moisture this year.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:10 PM

The Big Horns got more rain this year than last, which isn't saying much. I live in Worland, and we even had a little more down here than last year. Most of the bucks I have seen look pretty good. Even though, not much more moisture,the sage brush has bloomed where as last year it barely did. When it cleared today, both sides of the Basin are white! Looks like winter up there, but 60's and 70's the rest of the week!

I apologize, some of my answers were directed to NJHEADHUNTER also. I got his other thread and yours kind of mixed up!

Good Luck to both of you!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:45 PM

Looks like the southern end of the Bighorns around Lysite got some snow out of the storm too, but only enough to turn the tops of the mountains white. I bet most of it'll be melted off by the end of tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

We were in the Long Creek drainage up the middle fork road in area 67. I think it is about 15 miles from Dubois but I could be wrong.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:56 PM

How did the hunt go?????????????????

Quick Reply: WY weather Region R?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.