Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Got a good tag in AZ unit 33, need help!!!!! >

Got a good tag in AZ unit 33, need help!!!!!

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Got a good tag in AZ unit 33, need help!!!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Got a good tag in AZ unit 33, need help!!!!!

I got drawn fora hunt in December forwhite tail in unit 33. I was told it is a good area, and a tough tag to get drawn for, but I have never hunted there. Does anyone know of some good areas to begin scouting, or some tatics that have proven sucessfull for them in the past. I allready have a good pair of high-power binoculars and a tripod, I just need to know where to start looking.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone this season!!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:55 PM

Default RE: Got a good tag in AZ unit 33, need help!!!!!

That's exactly the hunt I put in for. Congrats! I didn't get it, but got 36 A. A friend of mine has guided in that area I'll ask him for some info. I still need to get some info on my unit. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:58 PM

[/align]I hunted the area last year and will be again this year. Find peppersauce canyon and use that as your base camp. There is the "campground" there which you have to pay to camp there, or across the road and up the wash there are lots of places to camp for free. Anywhere south of there you can find deer, just be prepared to GLASS ALOT, and practice up picking out antlers at distance, which can be tough unless it's a nice buck. The AZGFD web site gives some good pointers on starting points to look for deer at this url http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_33.shtml.The only downfall to peppersauce is that it is a popular place for EVERYONE. There are lots of places in the catalinas to scout, just be sure to do just that, SCOUT. Cover ground preseason and check things out. A quad is VERY helpful, but not necessary by any means. Keep in touch, and let me know if I can be of any help.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the help!! Let me know if you find out anything else, we are planning a scouting trip out as I speak, keep in touch let me know how your hunt goes

Good luck
Old 08-05-2007, 09:37 PM

If ya dont get any more hard advice, get hold of me and I'll see if I can help
Old 08-07-2007, 12:16 PM

I will diggerr, thx!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 PM

[/align]I'm heading over to unit 33 tomorrow with my buddy that got drawn with me so he knows what to expect physically come november. I told him he needs to get his lungs in shape, but I don't think he's taking me seriously. We'll see how he does, but I think he'll be fine. I'll keep you posted on what we find.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:24 PM

I would appreciate that!!! I ordereda agood map of the area and have gotten some good advice from friends and a few guides on some places we are going to go scouting here in the next few weeks I'll let youknow how it goes as well!!

Good luck and stay safe
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 PM

Scouting trip went okay, got to take my quad out for a little run which was good. Saw quite a few doe, several that I didn't have a chance to glass before they disappeared, so they could have been spikes, but they for sure didn't have any massive headgear. We got out there pretty late as well, after 8am. Maybe going back this week to check out a few new areas. We were in the peppersauce canyon vicinity, and the north half of the charoleau gap road. Saw some huge tracks on rice peak, must have been mule deer because they were as big as midwest deer tracks. Let me know if you guys turn up anything and I will return the favor.