Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Elk In CO

Old 08-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Spike

Default Elk In CO

Hello all-

I'm new to this site, as well as CO (moved there late May). I've been hunting deer/bear for years, but I'm very interested in someday getting in to Elk hunting. I don't plan on hunting this year, but I would like to spend a few weekends out in the mountains glassing and getting used to some of the local areas that may hold Elk. Actually, my goal this year would be to just see or hear one in the wild, regardless of the distance. I hear it's quite the rush to have a nearby bull cut loose.

Can any of you make any recommendations as to some public areas where this could be possible? Figure I'd start small and start getting used to the type of pursuit that exists out here in the West.

I'm based out of Denver. Any information would be appreciated. Thx.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:22 PM

Default RE: Elk In CO

Area around Estes Park is quite loud in September and early October, that is 1hr drive from Denver. You can see and hear them in the city on the golf course.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Also, Evergreen, you can see them and hear them arround lake on the club side, and in themorning see them arround the creek on the west side of town. That is even closer to Denver than EP.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend that you take a trip to Rocky Mtn. National Park this Sept. Get there early, break of dawn, and you will have no problem seeing and hearing lots and lots of elk. That should be all you'll need to make you want to hunt them! Take a camara because you will see more 6x6 bull elk in one morning there than you will the rest of your hunting career in CO.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome! I think Howler and laufer hit it on the head. You will start seeing Estes Park on the news soon. Ask around you may find someone that goes to an OTC unit and you should be able to go this year. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Gimmie an email, I hunt Gore Pass area.....going 1st combine season. You are welcome to tag along and look.
Dan
Old 08-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Spike

Thanks for the current advice. I appreciate it. I'll definately check out some of the areas you mentioned w/ a couple friends of mine (interested in learning more too -- never hunted elk, but have hunted deer in the past).

I appreciate the offer on tagging along too. I figure for the first go around, I'll keep it simple and just try to do what I can when I can. We'll see what the future holds though.

Is the best time to get out this for glassing/viewing in early, mid or late sept? Other?

Thanks again, and good luck to you guys going out.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

I could use a partner for Oct 20-28. I have combo 2nd rifle doe and bull. Plan to hunt 20-24 near Gunnison in 55, then 24-28 near Leadville.
Wife will be with me/us for 24-28 to get her doe and bull.