Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Arizona Questions... >

Arizona Questions...

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Arizona Questions...

Old 05-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Arizona Questions...

So I see that AZ has a deer season that doesn't require being drawn to participate in. What other animals are fair game during deer season with an OTC license, and is there public land around Phoenix that is worth hunting? I am new to archery, and want to hunt Phoenixwithout spending 1,000's on an outfitter.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arizona Questions...

Steelhead31,

The only OTC deer hunting we have in AZ is Archery and the only other big game animals that are OTC are Bear and Cougar. There is lots of public land in AZ but since your question is specifically about Phoenix I’ll have to tell you that you will have to travel some distance from PHX to do any really good hunting since the area around PHX covers about 70 miles East to West and about 50 miles North to South. You can go generally in any direction and find good hunting but it does take a bit of getting used to since we go from real tough SW desert to mountains over 10,000 ft. If I was coming out here to hunt for the first time and didn’t have any contacts then I would look into getting a guide or making a long summer vacation trek out here to check things out. Hope this helps…
Old 05-20-2007, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

AZBear is totally right, its a total different game out here. I recommend conditioning yourself for alot of walking in some of the toughest terrain known to man. its not like the midwest where you can park your car walk a 100 yards set up a stand and hunt. Arizona hunting takes alot of endurance. I'm from Missouri so I will tell ya im not just blowin smoke up your... it is truly a different beast out here. I deffinately suggest a guide if ya dont have anyone already here to take ya by the hand and show ya the ropes.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:38 PM

Thanks for info guys. I am young (27), and in good physical shape, so I'm not terribly worried about the terrain,butI alsodon't plan to underestimate it. I may be moving to Tempe in July, this is why I ask about the upcoming hunting season. My other question isare there outdoor ranges/archery clubs in the Tempe area? I am a member of a club here (Chicago area) and would hate to not be able to shoot acouple times a week.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Steelhead31,

There are several good indoor and outdoor ranges in the East valley (Tempe area) and a couple have the DART system which is great fun. Shooting out here in the summer is an early morning option only for shooting outdoors so you can shoot at distance. Most of the indoor ranges I have shot at are mostly limited to 30 yards or less. You will be getting here with lots of time left to do some real sight see and them you will be able to figure out what areas you will want to direct your efforts. Good luck and let us know how you are doing when you get here and what you think of the desert.

Also look at this web site for more information it is Arizona Out Doors and the link is WWW.AZOD.com lots of info there.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 PM

AZBEAR,
Thanks again for the great info. I will definitely check out the ranges and shops in the Valley inhopes of making a few contacts to guide me along the first season. I can't wait!!!!