Finalizing CO GMU (OTC) Plans >

Finalizing CO GMU (OTC) Plans

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Finalizing CO GMU (OTC) Plans

Old 03-12-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Finalizing CO GMU (OTC) Plans

Greetings,

As a follow-up to my earlier thread re GMU 61 & 62, we are in the process of qualifyingalternative OTC GMUs for an early season bow hunt. Any input re GMU 70 & 71? Specifically interested in overall hunting pressure and herd (bull) quality. I have spent sometime reviewing the information on gmuresearch.com, which has helped me narrow down the units. Would sincerely appreciate any input from fellow archers knowledgable of the area. This will be a DIY hunt - we plan on bringing an ATV; however, are more than willing to hike-in and spike if that is required. Thank you.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finalizing CO GMU (OTC) Plans

I'm from NY, and did a archery hunt in Colorado last fall. I didn't hunt the areas your speaking of. But had very similar questions before I did the hunt as well. If your talking public land hunt, there's just so much area you won't have to worry alot about pressure during archery season. I went the last wk of bow. Which happened to be the wk after the muzzleloader season, and also the same wk as Cow rifle season. I saw a few other hunters, but nothing that had any effects on my hunting. The elk move around so much during the rut the pressure from other hunters is minimual.
To be totally honest you'll find thats the least of your concerns. Far as the ATV they're illegal on public lands, so I wouldn't be expecting to use one to get back in hunting or hauling one out. You'll be doing alot of footing. Horseback is the best way to go out there. Otherwise your limited to how far can hunt away from base camp setup, or like you wrote have to spike camp it.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Finalizing CO GMU (OTC) Plans

Well i found this hope it can help you out

Dolores – Dry Creek Basin - GMUs 70, 71, 711

Vehicle access is easy in these areas; consequently hunting pressure is heavy on public lands. Also, remember that travel in the Lizard Head Wilderness Area in GMU 71 is by foot and horseback only.

Elk are abundant and distributed widely throughout these units. Generally, GMU 71 is better early in the season; and GMU 711 is better as the season progresses. During the season the animals move from north to south and from higher elevations to lower elevations. Animals will move quickly into thick aspen and mountain shrub when hunting pressure become apparent. The opportunity to see a mature bull is only fair.