Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Map plans...

Old 10-11-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Map plans...

Hello All..

I've mangaged to make up with a satelite view map of our place in southern MN.
I wanted to check with you guys to see what you think of our lay out plan of where our stands are. Just 4 of us on our property. In Red dot, it's my deer stand up in the tree, and the yellow are my 3 friend's stand.

I've hunted in the same land for the last 5 years..and there's always deer pressure in that area. (oustide of our property) There's other hunters out there all around us. And there's deer running most of the time. Ive always wondered how the deer run/walk from? Last year, about 4 am I walked out to the deer stand from my parent's pig farm (east of the map) and got settled down, and just about enough light come up, I saw a deer walking up close (15 yards) from my tree stand, but way too dark to make out if it's a buck or doe, just saw a body shape walking along the edge of the woods between the field and woods. That's before all he!! broke loose..shooting all around us (outside of our property)

Not alot of woods. But there's deer there! They're always on the move since people are shooting all the time. I was wondering where would the deer run to escape? Is there some kind of map in the deer's head where they would go when there's danger? The shotgun opener for us is the first weekend in November.

Bear with me..I've managed to make the picture of the map VERY big so you can see how detailed it is. Let me know what you think of the layout deer stand plan.

Here's the link:

map plan

Do you think it would work?

Thanks!

Mac
Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Map plans...

i would put a stand on the northern property line,l where that hedge row(that seperates that small field away from the rest of the field) runs onto it.

where did you get the satelite image? that is the best image i have seen
Old 10-11-2006, 10:10 PM

tj cubin, Thanks for the tip!

You won't believe how much work I did to create this map...

I got this from a site called "Reply" it's a online Real Estate finder. It has a feature where you can use their satelite images, only this site is crisper sharper images than any other satelite sites I've been to.

Here's the Link

Reply Site

I checked to see where you're from, and typed in Sackets Harbor, New York on the address to search the satelite database just for you on the link.

Here's the thing - when you use the magnification tool all the way to the closest, you only have a picture that's so little...What I did was I copied off each little picture at a time, moving with a hand over where ever I want to move, north, south, east, west. copying each time onto my hardrive. THEN I piece them together. The software I use for photos images is called Photoshop. What you saw on my little map is just a SMALL picture compared to the BIG map. I mean big, I got this whole 2 miles by 2 miles map I made by doing this. I've got it printed out from the College's huge printer I managed to print off. It's so big, that I had to print 2 36" sections to make it a 5 feet wide taped together by 8 feet long. It took me a full day on a sunday to copied it off and piece it together.. But it's worth it.

I guess you could say that 1 sunday I had alot of time on my hands.

I guess I would be usefull for something like having a meeting with my buddies, talking about the layout/planning for the deer hunt. only problem is that I have no room to hang it up..except for my garage where my tools are!

Mac
Old 10-12-2006, 08:35 AM

From what I can see, reply.com uses the same satellite images from google earth. You can see the google copyright if you zoom in.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:41 AM

Yes I noticed that. But you can't use the closest magnification all the way down as Reply.com can. For some reason I'm able to view closer in Reply than Google.

It's the same data from Google. One thing I really liked about google is that the viewing window is so much bigger than reply, but not as close. So I did it the "harder" way..doing it in reply because it's the best viewing, but the viewing picture is smaller..almost 1/4 size smaller!

It's awsome how we're able to view the images! Just awsome!

Mac
Old 10-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks macintosh, i checked it out. It doesnt really help me much because my hunting land around my house is so limited and shows up as a solid green section of woods. And with the other place i hunt half of it never comes in clear on them and the half that does just looks like solid green. i know there are hills and gulfs, but the imagery doesnt help plan my hunt any.

thanks for the info and the new resource.