Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 wyoming elk tags >

wyoming elk tags

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

wyoming elk tags

Old 02-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Default wyoming elk tags

got mine its a general elk tag will be going for archery season. Never been for elk in wyoming so i'm looking for little info as to where some good spots mite be and i have been out west ten times so i know what it is like. thanks and good hunting to everyone....
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: wyoming elk tags

Its been a while since I lived in the area, but the Snow Range and Sierre Madres in the south east corner of the state tend to have healthy herds. Likewise, the north west corner has a lot of good general elk area with a good herd (though the wolves are clearly having an effect...). Great country either way and if your willing to work you should get into elk. Most flat landers will consider the southeast country steep, especially the Sierre Madres--but the northwest areas add a whole new definition to the word steep... It is literally, not an area for the faint of heart, or the weak of lung and leg.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:37 PM

Default RE: wyoming elk tags

If you hunt the snowy's I would hunt the west side near the wilderness. Otherwise I dont feel that you have much of a chance for a big bull, although there is easy access. Any of the general areas in the western half have big bull potential, but as was said before, the wolves are really screwing things up. A area might have elk one day, then a pack moves over the ridge and poof..no elk in the area. Pick an area and just pound the brush. the northern 1/2 in the west has griz issues so be warned. the farther south you go they diminish.Good luck. Try a mini trip this summer and check some areas out before season.