Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Elk calls

Old 07-10-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Elk calls

I am bow hunting elk this fall in Western Washington. I have heard different things about the "Hoochie Mama" elk call. Has anyone had any luck calling in bulls with this? Or would I have just as much luck with a duck call?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk calls

everybody and there brother use the hoochie mama do yourself a favor and buy the primos hyper hot single and a double. much better response with thes calls this is my experience and the results of some of my buddies that guide for a living. good luck on your elk hunt
Old 07-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I use the hoochie mamma on lost cow and call a lot of bulls in.I guess it just depends where you go and how educated the elk are.
Elkshed
Old 07-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

i got a call i blow thru

it works well
Old 07-25-2006, 01:23 PM

The call works sweet!! I called in a raghorn 5x6 that my buddy arrowed last year. He came in like a train!!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:43 PM

I am a guide and would never use a hoochie mama, it is OK but very limited in the type of sounds you can make. I use a woods wise open reed cow call. AS far as a bugle you can't beat a Elk inc. Power Bugle, simple to use and you can mimic a smaller bull. In my experience of guiding and hearing other hunters who use tubes they sound like a monster bull! Well this scares of everything! Good Luck hunting elk are addicting.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 PM

Sleazy Cow call.......... very easy to use!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:36 PM

I've been callin elk for 12 years (hunting and just to see'em)in No.UT, ID, and WY and am inclined to say your better off without it. It's not that they aren't effective in some places, but as rileysoutdoors points out very limited in sound, and very short in vocal length. I have found some success using them simultaneously with mouth calls mimicing several elk at once, but alone very seldom do I have success (one spike and a couple cows responded). Also, in the cold they are very difficult to get quality sound out of.

Best bet is a mouth call, preferably reeds, as cows can and do make a variety of calls from short barks to long pleading whines. And I will second the ELK INC power bugle for locating and sounding like a ragtag.
GOOD LUCK IN WA. (I'll be in WY)