Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Box calls vs. Scatch calls (advice) >

Box calls vs. Scatch calls (advice)

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Box calls vs. Scatch calls (advice)

Old 04-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Default Box calls vs. Scatch calls (advice)

Hello. I am new to turkey hunting. I have been doing a lot of homework reading various articles on how to scout/setup/call/etc, and would like everyone's advice on a fairly inexpensive call for a rookie turkey hunter.

I did read one article that recommended a high-pitched box call if you live in a traditionally windy landscape (which is where I'll be hunting, wind swept northern plains).

I was at Sportsman's the other day looking at calls, but there are so many in each category I didn't even know where to begin.

From what I've seen on other posts it appears that guys are carrying multiple calls for all purposes:

1 slate call
1 stryker
1 box call
2 mouth calls
1 owl hooter
1 crow call

My dilemma is that I want to ease my way into it. I can maybe budget for 2 of these. I am looking for inexpensive, and ease of use, and hopefully somewhat effective.

Any and all advice and specifics on brand/model would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Box calls vs. Scatch calls (advice)

I'd recommend a "slate" and a box call. Reasons... It's hard to not sound like a turkey on a slate. You can be loud, you can be subtle. They'll sound different with different strikers. A box call is great in the wind. You can crank out some really attention getting yelps and cutts on a box, and... you can gobble on a box call with a rubber band, by turning it over and shaking it by the handle. Those two calls give you a lot of versitility.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

The easiest to use call that allows a newer hunter flexibility is a push pin call. Basically a small box with two pins one on each end and you push and pull those pins to make a range of call. Just and idea. I like the slate the best , but that and the box call (which is pretty easy too) require some movement.
Box call- I like the Primo Box Cutter
slate- HS Struts new Ring Zone sounds very nice
Mouth calls- Either HS or Primo will have a multi-pack with a DVD on how to use the calls
Owl Call- Palmer Hoot Tube by HS Strut
Crow call- I have not heard a really bad one

I have one more piece of advise- call soft and infrequent at first and work your way to more and louder.
Be Safe!!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

1 slate call -new hs strut ring zone average price $20
1 stryker -included above
1 box call - primos wet box average $20-$25
2 mouth calls-hs strut 3pk average$9
1 owl -hooter palmers hoot tube $15-$20 Primos Hoot Flute $7-$9
1 crow call - Hs strut hammerin crow call $8
Old 04-13-2009, 09:41 AM

Thanks guys. complete rookie here so any and all information is helpful. I am going shortly to check out the Primos Double Cutter, and the Wet Box, has anyone used both? and what are the adv/disadv for a rookie, any recommendations?

I am also going to look at the Ol Betsy Slate Call, as well as the HS struts ring zone.

What do you guys think about decoys, is more like waterfowl hunting where you absolutely need them, or is it more like deer hunting where they are helpful but not necessary? do you hear of many guys getting turkeys without them? Thanks.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm of the opinion that they're not necessary, but i carry one. I only end up using it about half the time. Gobblers have the ability to locate exactly where a call is coming from. In some situations where you are in an open area, a tom,will come to a pointexpecting to see a hen. If he doesn't, he'll get suspicious. On the other hand if he sees the decoy from too far he may hang up and strut, expecting the hen to come to him.
Later in the season, I don't bother with them much. With thicker vegetation, by the time the tom gets to a point where he should see the "hen", he's in range.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

dekes are not required. but as said a gobbler comes in lookin for a hen so they do calm the nerves of a wary gobbler.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

I think a decoy can be helpful when you are set up on a field edge or other really open area, but even then it is possible to call them in without it. I fact i've had turkey's get spooky around decoys and actually stop coming in once they saw it. Other times i've had birds who didn't really want to come in see the decoy and come running...go figure. As for which calls to pick the options can be overwhelming especially at first. The good news is that most turkey calls out there today are good. I'm partial to primos myself but you can call birds in very successfully with almost any call you pick up off the shelf. If you have limited funds I would pick out one friction call (box or slate), a mouth call (probably want to stick with a plain double reed..not one with fancy cuts or tons of reeds), and some type of locator (crow call or owl hoot...I prefer the crow). In 15 minutes you can learn to make pretty much any turkey sound you need on the friction call. The mouth call has a much steeper learning curve but in a few minutes you can learn how to do the basic cluck sound. the locator calls are also very easy. Then when you are hunting I would use the friction call (generally the "easier" one to use) to call until the bird is on its way. once he is coming in get your gun up and have your mouth call ready to go. If he starts to hang up give him a couple clucks to keep him coming or settle him down if he gets spooky (also good to give a sharp cluck or putt to get him to break out of strut and stick that neck in the air). To be honest that is all you need, but if you are anything like me once you get the basics down you will want to try more and more types of calls and before you know it you will have more then you know what to do with haha
Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

There is alot of choices I know and all of them say they are the best. BUt I've found the Knigh&Hale glass queen to be the best of cheap calls. On my turkey I killed this year my dad was running all of these custom hand-made calls and I brought out the ol' glass queen and did one yellp after all his and one gobbled80 yds behind us. And dekes are very helpful because as staed they have great hearing and 5-10x better eyesight than humans. So a decoy takes the attention of your call that he can pinpoint when he gets relativleyclose.It's not necesary to learn on a diphragm but it's very helpful when he could see you move and you need to cluck to get him outof a strut is he is. BTWthe way I learned on apot call is by making little footballs with your striker. A man from woodhaven taught me that and now I'vehad a company ask me to call for them. I'm not bragging or anything I'm just sayin' the football thing worked. But it will take practice before you get it right.