Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 What Western state? >

What Western state?

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

What Western state?

Old 02-12-2006, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What Western state?

Well, the "Pick your weapon" thing really sucks. You have to designate east side or west side for your elk tag. We(archery) have a pretty good season length, but the management strategies of this state suck. Most of the game management issues are determined by the rifle hunters because they have a greater number of participants. TheCommision which determines wildliferegs isinfluenced by the money factormore so than hard science. This state has so much potential, but it is just wastedbecause the powers that be won't manage it for herd quality instead of what will generate the most revenue. They (I think) intentionally put user groups against user groups(rifle vs.archery vs. muzzleloader)to divide and conquer on issues. They recently had the opportunity to make the hunting experience moreenjoyable by making tags available for multiple seasons. You'd get only one tag, but could hunt multiple seasons for an increased fee. Instead of allowing this to be an opportunity,it turned into a money making project by making it a raffle and inflating the cost of the extra tags if you get drawn. They essentially outpriced the people who can't afford to pay the increase. Somebody kick this damn soap box out fromunder me!!!![:@]
Old 02-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: slee

Well, the "Pick your weapon" thing really sucks. You have to designate east side or west side for your elk tag. We(archery) have a pretty good season length, but the management strategies of this state suck. Most of the game management issues are determined by the rifle hunters because they have a greater number of participants. TheCommision which determines wildliferegs isinfluenced by the money factormore so than hard science. This state has so much potential, but it is just wastedbecause the powers that be won't manage it for herd quality instead of what will generate the most revenue. They (I think) intentionally put user groups against user groups(rifle vs.archery vs. muzzleloader)to divide and conquer on issues. They recently had the opportunity to make the hunting experience moreenjoyable by making tags available for multiple seasons. You'd get only one tag, but could hunt multiple seasons for an increased fee. Instead of allowing this to be an opportunity,it turned into a money making project by making it a raffle and inflating the cost of the extra tags if you get drawn. They essentially outpriced the people who can't afford to pay the increase. Somebody kick this damn soap box out fromunder me!!!![:@]

You nailed it right on the head slee I think they are biased also but hey this is where we live. And even as A AHE grad my say doesn't count for much when it comes to management.

Id choose WY, then Montana, Idaho,NM,Washington, OR, Cal in that order
Old 02-12-2006, 03:56 PM

What's the bag limit for all the big game species there in WA for residents? How easy/difficult is it to get tags?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:28 AM
Typical Buck

You can get a tag OTC for any weapon you want to hunt with, but depending on the unit, it is probably draw only for bulls. At least on the East side. The west side is usually 3pt or better. You only get 1 deer, 1 elk, 2 bears, and 2 cougars.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Wyoming would be my choice!!!...Truly "GODS COUNTRY".
Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 AM

California is pretty under rated for hunting, mainly northern california. Blacktails, muleys & elk in the NE, plenty of hogs where I am, blackbear.

Getting tags can be kinda hard. Hogs & bear tags are OTC, deer tags depends on the zone. Not the best trophies in the world, but still fun nonetheless.

Angelo Nogara, President of California Hunting, with the
New California State Record Non-Typical Blacktail taken with a bow.
157 3/8 Pope & Young points with an outside spread of 26 1/2 inches.
Killed July 2005 in Sonoma County.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey come to Arizona our G&F dept rolls out the red carpet for you outta state boys.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:44 PM

For elk, New Mexico is my number one- that's part of the reason I live here, then Arizona (Kaibab Plateau).
Old 03-27-2006, 07:02 PM

Alaska.