Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Thinking of moving to Montana >

Thinking of moving to Montana

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Thinking of moving to Montana

Old 05-17-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Thinking of moving to Montana

Is there anyone that can give me some pros and cons. I have been through Montana once about 25 years ago. Went to West Yellowstone, I do not believe this gives me a good enough idea of what I may be getting into. Bear in mind I will be moving from South Florida!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thinking of moving to Montana

Are you moving because you are retiring? Do you want mountains and ski hills or moving for the hunting? Are you set financially or will you need to find work? Are you married and need to consider your spouse's point of view? Are you thinking of being a year round resident or will you snow bird back to Florida in the winter?

If you only went to West Yellowstone I would say study the state in more detail and figure out what you are expecting to gain from your move.

All of these factors would make a difference on what kind of advice you will get.

Pro
good to great hunting
long season
multiple weapons
clean air and water
great people
All types of terrain:Mountains, Plains, Breaks, foothills, etc
lots of public land.

Cons
Low incomes
Expensive housing in the West
Access to private land limited
Women hate the lack of shopping in rural areas
You are expected to become a Montanan and part of the community(most transplants have a real problem with seeing this)
Long distances between towns

Nemont
Old 05-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe you should plan some trips to Montana before deciding to move there?

It seems I read, some time ago, that there were some problems in some parts of Montana of people getting enough water in new housing additions. People from out of state move into a development, then comes a dry season and there isn't enough water. People from the big city out-of-state are suprised and dismayed. Seems like this was in the SW corner of the state. I guess if you buy property understand where your water is going to be coming from and how this might be affected by prior water rights of others.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:24 PM

I am young (31). I am planning on moving for 2 reasons: 1 Florida is becoming to over populated for me, to many people moving in; and 2 I love to hunt (work to support it) and there is not much to offer here and travel is not easy either. I am married and have 2 young children, all of which are alright with it. I have lived in the country all of my life. I am not planning on moving to a development. I wanted to buy between 500 and 1000 acres. Land value down here is incredible, so housing expense is not that much of an issue. I would need to work though because as I stated earlier I am still young and have a family! I would like to take a trip up there with the family just wanted some sort of idea before I do so.

Thank you for your time in this it is a very big decision!!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Except for a stint in the army I have lived here all my life. Born and raised on a ranch, married to a ranchers daughter. I have lived all over the state Bozeman, Billings, Missoula, Helena, Havre, Malta and for the past 11 years in Glasgow.

The one town that always interests me is Lewistown. It has the praries to the north, mountains around it, fly fishing, not far from Fort Peck and CMR wildlife refuge, Centrally located in the state, good schools. If you are thinking out in the country you can send your kids to schools like Denton or Moore or Grass Range etc.

Depending upon what you are skilled at and what you want to do to make money I would look around that area. Just my opinion. I love Glasgow but most easterners simply cannot adapt to life here, Especially the remoteness.

Nemont
Old 05-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

KS,
I live here in Centeral Montana,it's one of the best places I have lived in Montana.I to am young (30) and have a family(wife and 4 kids).What makes it so hard to live here is jobs(there are not alot of high paying jobs depending on what you do)the avg. yearly income is around 20-25k a year,30 being good and 50 if you can find it.
Land is more exspensive anywhere there are mountains,and rivers.
As for making a trip I would suggest Greatfalls,Bozeman,Billings and Helena as they seem to have a good job market(GT. Falls as being the worst).
The winters are and can be harsh several weeks(or Months) of minus 0 temps,high winds,crapy,crapy highways and roads,snow and drifting in rual areas.

BUT
The hunting can be spectacular.
The fishing,almost no place like it.
The schools and small towns are some of the best.
The scenery of Montana speaks for it's self.
It's a great place to live.

If you have any ? KS you can e-mail me.
BBJ
Old 05-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

K2AOCO
I moved to Montana 7 years ago. There is alot of things that people that lived here there hole life do not see.

1 My pay was OVER cut in half.

2 If you are not a native you never will be. People do not treat you with much respect.There are some that do.I would try to move in the center to east of montana.The people out there are WAY better.I live in Helena,every one here trys to get all they can from you and help you in NO way.This gose all the way to the fish and game. Every time I get checked the officer ask WHY I moved here.

3 Houseing is not only HIGH there is very little to NO codes for building.It is not unormal to see news pappers for insalation.This allso depends on who built the home.There is some craftsman here it is just hard to know whom is whom till you have lived here a wile.

4 In most of the land for sell now you can just bearly grow WEEDS,most all the good ground is owned.

5 The normal things you have now you do not get up here.Typs of food,90% of the fruit SUCKS.The beef in the stors allso is not to good.Way better to buy from a rancher.

6The lack of manners is very bad.If you open doors for ladys you will go nuts here in helena.Very very few people will let you pull out of a side street.Lots and lots of cursing in front of ladys[if the ladys them selves dont do it].

7 It is allmost unheard of to get help if you break down in the moutains.I walked 11 miles with my boy on my back.Many many cars passed me ,when some one stoped it was a man and lady from NJ just site seeing.

8 Fishing is no way as good as good as difrant places.There is not much for bait fish up here and you have to spend 2 weeks reading the reg book.If you call fish and game beprepared to spend hour or so on the phone.It is very hard to find laws out or whom knows the laws.LOTS and lots of miss prints in the reg book.

9 The price of fishing and hunting gear is NUTS. I buy all my stuff from KS or MO for way under half the price.Here they want .50 a jig ,in KS i get them for $5.99 for 100 jigs.

Think about it this way. The people that moved to the moutains where miners.Every one knows what miners are like.This is why I say to move in the center or east side of montana.They are ranchers there way more good rancher that good miners.

Befor any one states it I would like to move back but wifes job will not let us yet.

The good things are

1 Less crime in school,There is lots of drugs.No less than KS in my opionion.

2 Lots of public land to do as you pleese.

3 Many difrant typs of animals to hunt or trap.

4 Lots of difrant rocks to hunt for.

5 Non staop site seeing. There is allways something to look at.

6 Ice fishing I am sure down there you have very very little of that.

7 Few rain days.

If you deside to come to MONTANA give me a call. I would be glade to show you a lot of the good and bad of montana.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

K2AOCO,

I think that ELKINMTCWB could be a poster child for transplants who move here and never try to fit in. I guarantee that it is not difficult to get answers regarding game laws and that it is HIGHLY unusual for anyone to have to walk 11 miles out of the mountains with a kid on their back. Not saying it didn't happen but willing to bet he didn't try to flag down any of the native. In addition if it was around Helena 2/3's of the people in the Mountains were probably transplants themselves.

He is right about the income, it is shocking to most people what the wage scale is.

I disagree with the native thing. True you will never be a native because you aren't one but my best friend and hunting buddy moved here 9 years ago and he acts and is treated like a native. Being native is an attitude about life not where you originally came from.

I would tell you to listen to both sides of the good and bad and then form your own opinion.

As for people in central or Eastern Montana being better and nicer, well that goes without saying, we are.

Nemont
Old 05-17-2005, 03:20 PM

Excellent idea!! You'll love it there. I'm in Idaho, when you make your move and want to shop - consider coming on over.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh it's true pepole are snoby,but thats everywhere,I'm a born and raised Montanan and I've never met worse pepole than from Kalispel,it seems the farther west the worse they get,but hey 1/2 of them are transplants from all over.It seems the more money they have they are above you,and thats fine with me.Most are back-stabbing,shelfish-pepole,so I chose not to associate with most.

ELK,
I'm probaly one of the last pepole in the state that stops and helps pepole,Yeah it's true most drive by I geuss they have never walked a mile in your shoes,or 11 in that your case.

There are still good places to live,just have to find them.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving to Montana

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.